Question on Bloodred Coloration - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
Labinnah
Question on Bloodred Coloration

I really like solid-colour cornsnakes. Not sure why, really, but they're gorgeous to me. Since day one of being interested in herps, I've admired bloodred cornsnakes a lot. The very first ones I saw were the beautiful photos at South Mountain Reptiles. After that, I began eagerly searching the internet for hatchlings, but was confused and a little dismayed that every one I saw had a strong pattern, instead of the solid red and white. Eventually, someone clued me in that bloodreds only become solid-coloured as adults. Interest renewed, I began my search again... but, soon, once more I started to become unhappy with the results. So many 'bloodred' corns, even at a fully mature adult age and size, still had very noticable patterns, or more orangy colouration. Very, very few, maybe literally 1 in 50 of the bloods I saw actually had that rich, bloody crimson colour that I admired so much. Disappointed, I gave up for the time being, and became interested in blizzards instead (I mean hey, it's gotta be pretty hard to mess up pure white, right?).

But now, much later, I'm looking at bloodreds again.. and really wanting to know... HOW can I get a hatchling that'll grow up to be solid? And are these completely patternless bloodreds really as rare as they appear to be? The SMR bloodies are beautiful, but I really don't want to drop $60-$100 on a hatchling that grows up to look... well... sup-par to my very picky standards.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
I'm definately not an expert on Bloodreds, but am starting an interest since I have a liking for pewters. I would suggest that when, and if, you decide to purchase a bloodred, that you let the breeder know exactly what you are looking for. SMR is your best bet since you already like what you've seen there. I'm sure that they could sell you a hatchling from known lines that have a history of producing mostly the look you're looking for. Either that, or try purchasing an adult bloodred. That way, you definately know what you're getting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!