Bad Guy PAUL EDWARDS- peherps@comcast.net - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
kylemillsap
Thumbs down PAUL EDWARDS- peherps@comcast.net

Not only does he make CRAPPY cages and incubators. He lies and steals.I paid in full for 2 incubators and one (48 slot) rack. He said 6 weeks for delivery. 12 weeks passed and I called . He was almost done with the incubators but not the rack. I told him forget the rack I needed it in a more timely manner, just return my $1100. He then offered to send a used rack he had at his house, no thanks I said. He then told me he spent my money to pay his bills and was unable to return my money. I suggested he make payments . He still has not returned ANY money.
When I set up the incubators I was bummed to find out they fluctuate by about 7 degrees overnight. When I told him he said he would build me a shelf with another heat source with scrap materials he had at home. That was abut 5 or 6 weeks ago and still nothing. Last time I contacted him he told me he didn't want to REHASH this conversation.
Now I am stuck with 2 worthless incubators and out $1100 extra in cash.
Originally he told me he was just bad with money and should have known better than to mix his personal expenses with his business. Now I know the truth . He is a LIAR and a CHEAT(ask Habitat Systems)

Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
taumau
I'm curious--what's the relationship between Paul and Habitat Systems (Tom Weidner)-the last I knew (and saw together), they were best buds...?
-K Swan

Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Redfeet
also just curious is the same Paul Edwards that is pretty know in the corallus community? I think he was from Tennessee.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
ljsreptiles
I too bought a custom incubator from paul, and had a lousy experience. When I ordered it (february or 09), he said 4-6 weeks. 19 weeks later after a lot of emailing, I finally got my product. He refused to refund shipping costs, and that there was no garuntee on timing. He kept saying ...you can't put time restraints on making quality products. However, he said 4-6 weeks and he had no website then with any policies at all. He kept blaming delays on the crating company. However, he never gave me the name of the company he used when I asked for it, until it actually shipped out. I just think it wasn't ready yet. I just kept getting excuses. When I told him how angry I was, and to just send my money back, which was over $1,000...he actually had the nerve to tell me how great his business was doing. When it finally shipped, he asked me to put a testimonial on his site he was setting up...why would he want a pissed of client to post a testimonial on his site?

I gave him specific dimensions for the incubator. He didn't tell me the box on the back for the heating and fans was another 2". It almost didn't fit through my doors!

As fas as him and Habitat Systems..his big sales pitch was that "its the same product, just a lot cheaper". So, maybe they aren't friends anymore..

Personally, I have no problems with my incubator. It was shipped well, and so far works well.

For myself, I would rather pay more and get my product on time than deal with Mr. Edwards again.

Leslie Steinmetz

Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
BrooklynFlyGuy86
Stuff like this gets me really mad.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Tom Weidner
I have resisted the urge to tell the world about Mr. Edwards and Habitat Systems for some time. Now that the subject has been raised, I will relate our side of the story.
I have known Mr. Edwards for something like 30 years. I have helped him through the herp world on many occasions. I have designed and built cages, mostly for myself, for over 50 years. He copied a design I had made when he lived in Omaha, Ne. He proceeded to make and sell them until the city made him stop. (You cannot run a manufacturing business in your garage in a city area zoned residential).
After he moved to S.C. he purchased some racks from us. Later he “purchased” an R&D unit from us. He promised to make payments. He failed to do so.
He then decided to go into the manufacture and sale of our products and designs. When asked why, his comment was “I just want to make money”. He is a thief, he is stealing our patent. To sue for a patent violation requires a great deal of money. When you win, you get damages and an injunction. Mr. Edwards has never had two nickels to rub together so the damages would never be paid. We decided that the public would eventually get wise to him and realize who and what he is without our help.
At my age, I thought I was a better judge of character. I was wrong. This is the thanks I get for helping him out many times over the years. He has slept on my couch. I remember when he brought mites to my facility. He has offended my daughter. Trying to steal our company is the final straw.
He is correct when he says that our material is the best for cages. However the quality of Habitat Systems units far exceeds anything he can do. It is a difficult material to work with and he has not been able to steal all the secrets yet. We do not want our name used in the same sentence as Mr. Edwards. Our ethics, standards, quality, customer service and reputation are way too important to us.
If you would like to see an example of his workmanship compared to Habitat Systems, see us at Tinley Park.
Maybe Noe Perez of Noah’s Boas would like to relate his Mr. Edwards dealings.
Anyone contemplating a purchase from Mr. Edwards would be wise to consider the possibility of complications.

Tom Weidner

Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Signal Herp
I wondered when a thread like this would appear. Sorry to hear of your problems Kyle & Leslie. I too purchased a rack from Mr. Edwards last fall as I needed more space to house neonate chondros. The majority of racks in my facility were made by HSL and I LOVE them! So I thought, if this is the same material how much different could they be. Low and behold when the rack showed up the spacing on the shelves was way off. Some of the tolerances were so off that neo emeralds (much less chondros) would crawl right out, other's were so tight the boxes would barely go in and at least one slot the box won't go in more than half way. When I informed Paul of the situation he apologized and offered to make it up on a future order. Gladly I ended up getting a real HSL rack to replace the one he made.

Rico Walder
Signal Herpetoculture

Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
taumau
That's a sad and disgusting story. I was around his place when Tom bought his first panel, just trying to figure out how to cut and glue the thing. I remember thinking, " well if he doesn't sell any, at least there's no way in hell anyone's ever going to be able to duplicate it" after seeing how hard they are to build. I'm a pretty good carpenter but I wouldn't attempt putting one of those (H.Systems cage)together with DOI kit!! It was a foolish/unethical attempt, and I haven't even seen the copies!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
taumau
What's a DOI kit you ask---why it's DIY (do it yourself) spelled incorrectly and in a hurry!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Jim@SW
I have seen both

I saw Mr. Edwards product at Tinley Park. The Habitat systems products are much better built. When seen side by side. I own many Habitat systems racks and cages. Never a problem with them. I have been to the Habitat production warehouse many times. I would spend a few bucks more to know that someone will be on the other end of the phone if I needed help, or had a question. I needed some custom cage fronts made a few years back. Called them up with my needs. They built the to my needs, and mentioned a few extra idea`s. I am glad they did. I have been using them for the last ten years. That is worth something to me.
Many racks I have seen out there do no even come close to the Habitat racks. The top box, and the bottom box both fit evenly. Other racks I have used and still own some of them. The snakes get out of the top box, because of the gap. And the bottom boxes are so tight you cannot open them.
Tom I hope you keep making a quality product! Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are not good!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
caging, reptile