New Boy not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
oldgoalie915
New Boy not eating

Hello all.. this is a general question and inquiry. I bought a 08 normal male from a store in Florida about 3 weeks ago. He swore that he was eating and not having any problems at all with food.
Well he got here fine no probs with fedex or anything at all. I have him in a nice huge plastic tub with shaving (what he used before) and a good hide and plenty of water. Well the problem is.. he is NOT interested in food at all. I have tried fresh stunned, f/t and even a live one. He just curls up and shows NO interest in any of them.
I guess my question is... how long before I start to get really concerned?
I did talk to the store and they said it can be months due to stress of move etc... I am not sure because I have only had corns in the past and this is my first BP so I am not sure.

Thanks
Ralph

Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
What are your temps? Hot side and cool side?

How many hides do you have?

How big is the enclosure?

Do you have pics? ( this would be best!)

Do you bug him much since you got him? If so. let him BE. only change the water, and clean the enclosure as necessary. Stress can cause them not to feed.

So long as the snake isnt losing large amounts of weight quickly, i wouldnt worry about it too much. Do you have a scale to weigh with? A once weekly weighing would be okay to monitor the weight of your animal without putting too much stress on him.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
Uroboros
The only time to start worrying is when they're getting thin. You'll know that when it loses the nice fat reserves it gets at the sides of the spine. It will look thin.

While trying to convert my ETB to f/t rat pups (again) I offered nothing but f/t rat pups and if it didn't eat, it didn't eat. We did this for 6 weeks and he started looking thin and I decided he won and the stupid jerk went back on live mice. (already tried the scenting rat pups with mice, f/t mice, p/k mice, the whole damn 9 yards, btw)

BPs seem to be able to go longer than 6 weeks, just start to worry when it looks thin, that's all.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
DAND
Have you attempted to try ASR (African soft furred rats)?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
densnake1
The problem could also be the huge tub. The younger balls seem to like the smaller enclosures. if you have something smaller give it a try. You never know. Good luck.
Dennis

Old 04-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
oldgoalie915
might try that

I do not have a digital camera so I can not post pics. I may try the smaller tub and see if that helps. Maybe place him in a tub with lots of plants/logs?
He is basically hanging out on top of his hide all the time. I know the warm side tempt is right at 88 this morning and the cool side 74.

Ralph

Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
ATOPGUNNA4U
i think densnake1 has a point a ball python doesnt like it to be to big of an enclosure it like to be feel secure and if the huge tub is to big he might not feel secure and also ur temperatures might not be right most likely too cold and like everyone else said as long as the snake doesnt appear to be losing a considerable amount of weight it is fine but check temps because when the snake too cold they go into a hibernation mode and maybe thats why the snake wont eat either but i hope everything works out dont worry once u get him to feed they generally dont go off there feeding schedule and ball python s sometimes are picky eaters unlike some other species of snakes.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
oldgoalie915
He ate :)

UPDATE....... I took the advice and put him in a 20L tank that has some fake plants and a log hide and is all cozy. He ate a mouse second week in there...three days ago he ate two. The first of the two he was all over as soon as he saw it. So I think his apetite is back
Next week will be a f/t small rat he refused before.... wish me luck

Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Tiger Lilly
Congrats on the feedings & good luck with the next one. Sounds like he is on his way to catching up...just don't push the feedings too often.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
oldgoalie915
refused again

Well he didn't eat the f/t small rat I tried giving him. I did the same thing as last time.. I placed it in his cage overnight. He knocked it off the place I put it but looks like he did not even try to eat it.
Am thinking maybe I should wait a week or two then try a live small rat.... any suggestions?

Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!