Sulcata Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
AdamR
Sulcata Question

So I finally picked up a little sulcata! She is doing well, eating, drinking, and running around. My question is, Is it better to use a heat pad or heat lamp for the sulcatas? I can do either, but can't seem to find a definite answer on this one? Also, I have Nature Zone tortoise food. Is this ok? Or should I supplement with other things as well? Let me know what you think and any info a newbie sulcata owner should know! I have spent a lot of time on the sulcata-station.org and hopefully have learned a little bit! I deal mostly with snakes but have wanted a tortoise for a while!

Thanks,
Adam!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
KelliH
I use a heat lamp. You also must use a UV light. I keep mine on timothy hay, which it munches on quite a bit, and I give it salad (fresh greens and sometimes other veggies). I soak my baby for 10 or 15 minutes every other day.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
AdamR
Thank You! I have mine on aspen now is that ok? Where can I get timothy hay? I have a UVB Repti-Glo light on it and keeping the temps around 80F. I will soak her in a little bit. I've tried to leave her alone while she learns her new home. How long should the UV lamp stay on? I have it on a 12hr timer now to simulate night/day but I can change the amount if needed. What kind of calcium is best?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
KelliH
I would not keep a tortoise on aspen. You can get timothy hay at PetSmart or at feed stores. The hot spot should be closer to 90 degrees. 12 on/12 off is fine for the lighting. I use Rep Cal without D3 and sprinkle it on the salad a couple times per week.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
AdamR
I am at petsmart. I cannot find the Timothy hay but they do have ZooMed Natural Grassland Tortoise Food, it looks ok. Have you tried it?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
AdamR
Ok I found the hay! Oxbow brand Timothy hay? They told me it has more minerals...

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
KelliH
Yeah that sounds about right ;-)

Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
AdamR
Well I hope she appreciates it! They didn't have the Repti cal without D3 so I will check at petco tomorrow! What do you think about the ZooMed tortoise food? Or should I stick to greens? You've been a great help by the way! I upped the temp to 88F.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
KelliH
Personally I'd stick to the greens, but do some more research. :-)

Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
Tim Cole
We keep Sulcatta's in outdoor pens 9 months out of the year. We plant native grasses and encourage weed growth in their pens. Supplemental feed hay comes from a local farm and it's actually an African blend.

The only commercial diet we feed any of our herbivores is Mazuri Chows and this is a portion of their diet and not a staple.

Below is a link to the Austin Herpetological Societies Caresheets which has one for Sucattas.

http://www.austinherpsociety.org/new...aresheets.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!