Recessive Genetic Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Richiebens
Question Recessive Genetic Help

Hello all,

I am new to the snake breeding thing, and after extensive research I am still a bit confused:

I have a male albino labyrinth burn and a female granite (red for some reason?) burn and I want to have a shot at some triple recessive offspring here. From what I understand, ALL their first clutch will look normal but be triple het, correct?

From there, I will have to breed them against their clutch to produce granite het labyrinth/albino and labyrinth het granite/albino then breed those against their parents before I have a shot. But I'm not sure I have that right; can anybody help?

As a side note, is my female different for being red? Granites aren't supposed to be from what I understand, so is she possibly already a double recessive? If so, for what?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
hhmoore
Crap - my message disappeared. Somebody will probably reply with an explanation before I have a chance to retype it.

Just remember - with triple het x triple het, the odds are against producing visual triples. Each egg only has a 1 in 64 chance. You can get lucky...or not. Produce enough babies, and it will happen.
Also, het x het pairings produce a a lot of hets, possible hets, and normals...and you won't have any way of knowing which are which.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Richiebens
Ha thanks for trying, I wouldn't be apposed to more than one explanation though! So in essence, I'm on the right track? How many times is it ok to breed a singe line? I don't want to create unhealthy snakes.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
j_dunlavy
If you breed your albino lab to your granite you will have all triple het offspring:
if you holdback a pair of those and breed them to each other (sib to sib) you have a small chance of getting your triple visual as Harald has stated.

as for the inbreeding aspect: if you do not add new blood to the line you run the risk of having problems. I personally would not go more than one generation of a sib to sib breeding but that would be in the abundance of caution. This was what I was told by another breeder a few years back.
There is also a "snakebytestv" episode about this that may be worth checking out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzg1zic-zQU

I would also be interested to hear what the consensus on inbreeding is, just to have more info available.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, genetics