Heres a photo of my new hog i found on fron porch - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
DaEMOeN
Lightbulb Heres a photo of my new hog i found on fron porch

Ok. lol took a lil time to find my camera cd. but here is some photos of my beautiful hoggy. Hope i put pictures up right. Write back to me if u know what type it is. Thanx.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
DaEMOeN
Heres another as well. he is beautifull. I think he is getting used to me now. After i picked him up n let him crawl across my hands for a while he calmed down n quit hissin at mel. anyone know about how old he could be, a guestamate from his size in my pic. thnx guys
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2004, 01:04 AM   #3
Mark and Aimee
That's an Eastern.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
DaEMOeN
Thanx for the info. I didn't know whether it was eastern or not lol. Do u have any need to know, or important info i should know about raising it. I'm new the the hog, all i've ever had was a ball python. Which he was a lemon, petstore told me he musta been imbred or somthing i dunno. would be nice for some input. I like ppls info as well as researched, but more of ppl whom have raised them thereselvs. They have a lil better idea of the entire situation. thnx guys

Old 08-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Sybella
You found him on your front porch??

Dude, you need to clean your rodent cages!! LOL!!!

Just kidding of course...lucky dog! He's so cute!!

Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
DaEMOeN
yea lol, i just got home from work was walking up to the porch and i seen a kitten crowched down over him. I was like, "what the hell" lol it was on it's side with it's tongue hangin' out and stomach sucked in, i thought the dumb cat had done killed him, so i went to pick it up and it moved a lil, then i sat and stared at him for a lil while, and he eventually started tryin' to get away. he let me pick him up with no problem no hissing or anything. but the second day i thought he was goin to tear my hand off lil rascall. Hes good now though, slowly getting used to me i suppose. when do they have their first shed? I mean he had to have just been hatched b/c he isn't but like 10 inches or so in length. yea lucky me I was just fixing to go out and by a python, but he is much more interesting than a boring old python hehe. playin dead, n flarin like a cobra! hes tha shizz.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #7
Sybella
Hog Noses "play dead" as a defense mechanism. It's really cool but like other rear-fangs, like False Water Cobras, once they get used to you, they stop doing all this cool stuff! LOL!

Do they occure naturally where you are?? I'm trying to figure out how he ended up on your porch.

I wouldn't worry about when he's going to shed...I'd be much more concerned with making him comfortable enough to eat for you sometime soon. Younger snakes can't go as long without food as the older ones can.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 AM   #8
DaEMOeN
Yea they live around here first of his kinds i've seen. I usually see the others that have fat heads n necks. I fed him a small toad the other day, gion to feed him again this friday. I suppose once every 5 days is sufficient, still researching. He ate righ toff though, didn't take his time lol, think the lil guy was sstarvin'.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
I mean he had to have just been hatched b/c he isn't but like 10 inches or so in length.
It could be a yearling... They're pretty small when they hatch.

My yearling Westerns are not even 10" long.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
Seamus Haley
Quote:
It could be a yearling... They're pretty small when they hatch.

My yearling Westerns are not even 10" long.
Or more, just to emphasize the point. Easterns are the biggest of the three but even they hatch out at around three-four inches, tops. For large eggs and a small clutch. Given that it's a WC animal and the diet is entirely unknown, with off feed periods for brumation, it could well be two years old or better. Nice markings though, killer color and pattern and I don't see any scars in the photos (although my eyes aren't the greatest). Out of curiosity, whereabouts do you live and have you seen any others from the local population? Were the colors similar if you have? They range and vary all over the place, but if you've got a micropopulation with that kind of color, it kight be worth a field collecting trip.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!