Plastic Tub Setup - Chemical/Plastic Smell - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
kkatxo
Plastic Tub Setup - Chemical/Plastic Smell

I am using a Sterlite gasket latch box for my hatchling setup & am concerned by the chemical smell of the plastic. I thoroughly washed it with Dawn dish soap & water, but that didn’t take it away completely. I did some reading online which suggested using lemon, vinegar, charcoal, sunlight, etc as cleaning agents... wondering what everyone else has done that worked? I wanted to run the tub through the dishwasher, but read that the hot water could actually lock in the smell.
None of the setup videos or forums I read ever mentioned this as an issue or as part of the setup process, so I wanted to see what has been tried & tested before running to the store.
Thanks!!

Old 06-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Cassato
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkatxo View Post
I am using a Sterlite gasket latch box for my hatchling setup & am concerned by the chemical smell of the plastic. I thoroughly washed it with Dawn dish soap & water, but that didn’t take it away completely. I did some reading online which suggested using lemon, vinegar, charcoal, sunlight, etc as cleaning agents... wondering what everyone else has done that worked? I wanted to run the tub through the dishwasher, but read that the hot water could actually lock in the smell.

None of the setup videos or forums I read ever mentioned this as an issue or as part of the setup process, so I wanted to see what has been tried & tested before running to the store.

Thanks!!
Just wait till they poop in there - problem solved!
Seriously tho they'll be fine

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old 06-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
kkatxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassato View Post
Just wait till they poop in there - problem solved!
Seriously tho they'll be fine

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
😂 Lol thank you. I needed that bit of humor to calm me down.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
bcr229
Is there a reason you're using the tubs with gaskets? Those are airtight. I've used the tubs without gaskets and have never noticed a smell with them.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
kkatxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Is there a reason you're using the tubs with gaskets? Those are airtight. I've used the tubs without gaskets and have never noticed a smell with them.
It is extra secure, has 6 latches around the box. I have 26 holes made in the box, so there is plenty of air flow.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
I like those tubs, kept a corn in one for a while, however I removed the gasket and it still was nice and secure.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
kkatxo
I identified the source of the smell; the suction cups on my Pangea digital reptile thermometers…
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
bcr229
Thanks for the update. I was thinking that maybe it was the gasket.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkatxo View Post
I identified the source of the smell; the suction cups on my Pangea digital reptile thermometers…
Funny, I had same problem a couple years ago. I didn't really notice but wife did. She asked me what was new and handed her one of the thermometers and she said, it's the black sticky things, lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, concern, hatchling, setup