OMG! Going Downhill FAST! - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #91
Dr Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
The draining greatly reduces the swelling. It was drained again because it started to swell at the original site again.

Still no definitive diagnosis but it is resistant to almost every antibiotic out there. They have been growing lots of this stuff lately in the lab though.
Steve,
Have they mentioned anything about a gram stain of the organism? Also, have you seen any culture and sensitivity results?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #92
LakesideBoas
Hope this is cleared up for you soon and you two can get back to your normal owner/pet relationship.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #93
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens View Post
Steve,
Have they mentioned anything about a gram stain of the organism? Also, have you seen any culture and sensitivity results?
This is what I have been given on it so far.

Cellularity was moderately high with a small amount of blood. Cells were a mixture of heterophils, lymphocytes and azurophils. Mixed bacteria were observed. No cellular atypia suggestive of neoplasia was evident.

The culture results showed 3+ gram negative rods and 3+ aeromomas species.

The sensitivity showed Fortaz would be effective but more common antibiotics such as Baytril would be ineffective.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #94
pcrooker
Again..

I wish you nothing but the best... I keep you in my thoughts.. But if it comes down to it my promise of contributing still stands... If that is what you decide.

Thinking of you both!
Patty Crooker

Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #95
Dr Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
This is what I have been given on it so far.

Cellularity was moderately high with a small amount of blood. Cells were a mixture of heterophils, lymphocytes and azurophils. Mixed bacteria were observed. No cellular atypia suggestive of neoplasia was evident.

The culture results showed 3+ gram negative rods and 3+ aeromomas species.

The sensitivity showed Fortaz would be effective but more common antibiotics such as Baytril would be ineffective.
Well, that report isn't super specific, but the fact that it's gram negative rods and aeromonas sp. tells me a little bit. However, both are usually covered really well by fluoroquinolones (Baytril is a FQ), so it's kind of weird that it would be resistant to Baytril. It would be nice if they could have obtained a little more accurate culture result...

Have you started Fortaz yet? If so, how many days has he been on it?

Also, was the drainage thick, and caseous, or was it more liquid?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #96
Dr Owens
Sorry Steve...I just went back and read your initial post again. It's been long enough that I had forgotten that initial info.

So, a better way to ask my last question would be...what day of treatment is he on?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #97
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens View Post
Well, that report isn't super specific, but the fact that it's gram negative rods and aeromonas sp. tells me a little bit. However, both are usually covered really well by fluoroquinolones (Baytril is a FQ), so it's kind of weird that it would be resistant to Baytril. It would be nice if they could have obtained a little more accurate culture result...

Have you started Fortaz yet? If so, how many days has he been on it?

Also, was the drainage thick, and caseous, or was it more liquid?
Already started the Fortaz. He has had 5 injections so far (they are once every 3 days).
The liquid was thick, kinda like a mucous.
I have had 3 vets now dealing with this and none of them have been able to give me any type of conclusive answer as to what is going on.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #98
crotalusadamanteus
Has it only been the thick fluid, or has any particulate matter come out too?

I'm not a vet, but I been sharing this with mine a little. He asked the same question as Jay did pretty much.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #99
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Has it only been the thick fluid, or has any particulate matter come out too?

I'm not a vet, but I been sharing this with mine a little. He asked the same question as Jay did pretty much.
No particulate matter. Little bit of blood and mucusy stuff but it was clumpy (and just downright gross).
He is on day 16 of treatment.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #100
SPJ
These may help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!