Interesting but unethical Hybrid attempt. - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this?
Stupid, pointless, why bother mixing these 2 beautiful species? 47 38.52%
I love it, very awesome idea. 9 7.38%
Interesting at the least, but doubtfully possible. 17 13.93%
If nothing else, Id like to see results. 49 40.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #61
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayon
that last pic, can someone tell me what species those are please?

Those would be a female Columbian and a male Ball Python.

Griz

Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #62
Southwick Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchoven
Those would be a female Columbian and a male Ball Python.

Griz
Colombian??? It's a burm.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #63
Bill & Amy
I think they are talking about the pic Griz posted in post #53.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #64
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayon
that last pic, can someone tell me what species those are please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwick Herps
Colombian??? It's a burm.
The request was rather ambiguous. The last pic in the thread is a Columbian and a BP. The last pic in the very first posting is a burm. It all depends on what Amayon was asking.

Griz

Old 01-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #65
Southwick Herps
Oh geeze, Im sorry Griz, didn't even realize there was a colombian pic posted. Sorry man.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #66
nita3ggg
The problem I see with hybridization is the potential for contamination in a collection. I have seen superballs (blood x ball) that look like a really kick butt normal ball and eventually I can see that ending up being sold as a unique ball. At least name them as hybrids, angolan ball we know is an angolan python crossed ball python, the blood ball should be called just that not a superball. At least with a burm ball you shouldn't be able to mistake it for a pure ball

Old 03-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #67
liquidleaf
Right. I'm a bit on the fence - I think some closely related (species-wise, size-wise AND geographically speaking, where it might occur naturally anyway) such as Carpondros and some kingsnakes aren't so bad in my mind.

But such extreme (burmxball) hybridization attempts risk so many problems - the gamble of WHICH offspring will carry which characteristics - how big will those snakes get? Some might only get to be 5 ft long, some the full burm size, and everything inbetween. Some could be fairly even mixes so it would be an unmistakable hybrid just by looking at it, but others could look so much like one parent that there would be the chance of them be bred as normals at some point. What if those "burm" genes surface at some point in the future, and some person who thinks they're buying a CB ball python get instead a 10ft "hidden" hybrid?

It's not really like dog breeds at all - dog breeds are really like human races. People who are "line bred" so to speak tend to wind up sharing certain traits, like facial features, height (or lack thereof), and skintone. Hybridization is a risky experiment, and not the same as breeding to achieve a pastel colored animal. Look at the strange things that happen with "ligers" and "tigons" - depending on if a lion is father or mother, a lion x tiger cross can lack a limiting growth hormone and get MUCH larger than either a normal tiger or lion can grow. What if something like this happens with these other hybridizations?

I think BCC x BCI crosses are ok, as long as it's well documented, since these animals' territories can overlap. But I also think attempts must always be made to keep a "pure stock" and hybridization does clould that ability with the presence of unscrupulous breeders and the risk of loss of heritage information, which happens to many animals as they change owners.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #68
Biscuit71
I can see no real problems with it as long as whatever offspring that is produced is sold (if it is sold) AS a hybrid. There have been alot of comparisons between dogs and snakes and such... I think the same argument about not mixing can be used with anyhting from slugs all the way up to people. SOme dogs shouldnt be mixed... can they mix, yes, but they shouldnt be... You wouldnt mix a Great Dane with a Pug... Hybridization is how new species are created... maybe not by people playing "god" as some people like to call it, but animals with similar characteristics meeting by chance in the wild and producing something new that may carry on in the wild or may not. Face it... if somehting can be crossed it will be and no amount of flaming or calling it wrong will change that. I think about 90% of the columbrids i see out there are some sort of cross ... never see anyone really complaineing about that.. You can go to any pet store and see Puggles and Schnoodles, and cockapoos... Chickens have been crossed and uncorssed for years... make them bigger or fatter, or better layers.. horses, have been crossed with donkeys, and the Zebra... everywhere you look you will see different types and occurances of hybridization, they just dont hit as close to "home" as the subject of crossing snakes....... think about that next time you bite into a piece of chicken. In the end it comes down to If it can be done, someone WILL do it.. they want to be a first.. they want to be know an the person / breeder that was the first to do it.. Nobody slams the people that HAVE done it.. I know that NERD does Bateaters.. yet people dont slam them about doing it... they say "cool snake". Makes me wonder if it is more of a case of WHO is doing the hybridization or not. Would someone slam NERD or one of the other big breeders if they were doing it? (sorry Kevin and Kara... NERD just came to mind because your so well known)
Anyway, Ill get off my soap box... have fun in whatever you want to do... its all that matters in the end anyway. :scatter:

Old 03-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #69
hhmoore
Just for the record, a lot has been said about NERD and some of their creations
(I've given up trying to explain to people that mixing different breeds of dogs is no more hybridization than breeding a creamsicle corn to an okatee corn or an American with an Asian...breed does not equal species)

Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #70
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Just for the record, a lot has been said about NERD and some of their creations
(I've given up trying to explain to people that mixing different breeds of dogs is no more hybridization than breeding a creamsicle corn to an okatee corn or an American with an Asian...breed does not equal species)
You should see my dog snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!