What happened to BOI???? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #21
MedusaCoils
With this potential and probable change that is coming, it makes me wonder what we, as members of this community could do to keep things rolling? It would be and is a shame to lose, such a valuable resource.

Wayne

Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #22
dragonlvr64
I agree, it is a terrible shame to lose such a resource. It protects so many people. I read of the trouble with costs and became a small contributor, most I could afford as I had lost my job.

I hope something can be resolved prior to Jan 2010!!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #23
TheVipersHouse
I myself am currently laid off work and i am a contributing member so if i can do it so can you , people if you want the BOI to stay then time to pay up , if not the valuable BOI will no longer be here to protect people from scams and bad dealings ....

Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #24
dragonlvr64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVipersHouse View Post
I myself am currently laid off work and i am a contributing member so if i can do it so can you , people if you want the BOI to stay then time to pay up , if not the valuable BOI will no longer be here to protect people from scams and bad dealings ....
Not sure if you were talking to me, I am a contributor, I don't think anyone who has not contributed can see this section

Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #25
KelliH
I really hope that if you do decide to let go of the BOI that you sell it to someone else who will keep it going... It has it's pros and cons but in the end it's a much needed source of information for our industry.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #26
KelliH
I almost forgot to say... thanks Rich. I know you have sacrificed a lot to provide this forum to us and I will always have respect for you for that. No matter what.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #27
WebSlave
Well, I'm certainly getting a lot of emails about this. Might be some good come from this afterall, if a bunch of people discover THIS forum and what it was put on this site for.....

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 AM   #28
dragonlvr64
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Well, I'm certainly getting a lot of emails about this. Might be some good come from this afterall, if a bunch of people discover THIS forum and what it was put on this site for.....
That would be great news! I am also on Pangea and there is talk over there about it! I made the mention there of contributing...

Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #29
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlvr64 View Post
That would be great news! I am also on Pangea and there is talk over there about it! I made the mention there of contributing...
I guess maybe I was misunderstood. I was talking about this FEEDBACK forum here where this thread is posted. Members may get the answers to their question right here. Emailing me is not going to be as productive, I'm afraid....

Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 AM   #30
Dennis Hultman
I took some time to go back and read some of the opposing positions in the many threads that started back when paid participation for the BOI was first discussed. Although some of those positions were based in
some sort of principle in the individual perspective to a few that were opposed the majority just wanted their free ride at all costs. Frankly, I was and still amazed at the volume of members who were content to just lurk and read the BOI and not care. They still had the ability to search the forums and research sellers and buyers along with viewing the new threads from those that were supporting the site.
Even with the change, Rich gave those that were subject to a BOI thread the ability to post and respond for free. Those that wanted to post had the option of supporting the site for what, $10.00 minimum. That’s not ten dollars a week or month but a whole year. Nope, it wasn’t good enough for many
. Same names lurker around day in and day out researching buyers for years but when it came down to it they figured they let someone else help keep the resource open.
When it was pointed out that it would help cut the bogus registrations by providing a sort of verification for posting on the BOI, Nope wasn’t good enough. Many would rather whine and complain about fake registrations then actually help curtail it. Instead most opposed suggested charging for the classifieds instead. When that was tried later, the same opposition.

When it was pointed out the cost of running this site and potential litigation for Fauna with the nature of the posts on the BOI, Nope that was Rich’s problem. To many people still wanted to use all the resources of this site without contributing to keep it a float.

Let me take a moment to state that I know I’m preaching to the choir here. Most that actually take the time to read this particular forum have supported Fauna in many ways over the years. Auctions, memberships, driving the membership base, etc.. There are a lot of you here as well so don’t take offense when I state many or majority users.

While I believe in the value of this site and support the principles behind the BOI, I don’t think that this should be a burden on Rich’s shoulders that has the potential to destroy his financial future, his quality of life.

Rich, this is just a thought I’m going to put out for consumption. If it comes to pass that there still isn’t enough support by the time your retirement approaches and it is still viable to keep Fauna running without the BOI maybe making it a closed forum to contributors with extreme prejudice is an option. I’ll explain what I mean in a minute. You have bent over backwards to be fair about this in the past. I don’t think you should have to do anymore. When you tried the memberships before like I stated above you gave access for people to defend themselves. Goggle still picked up the threads and they could be searched and read. If the BOI is going away and Fauna can still survive lock access completely to only contributors. Liability I think will be decreased because no one but contributors can read them or post. No freebees to the target of a thread. It would be a locked down club out of sight. Some may want to talk about the ethics of such and the intended proposes of the BOI. I say if it comes down to it I would rather have a change in the mission statement of the BOI instead of a loss of years of data that I find very valuable.

Hopefully, It will not come to that. I want to believe people will step up to the plate.

Plan Two-
Convince Rich that retirement is overrated. Walking on the beach, traveling…. pffff, boring. People retire, get bored, and die sooner.
Working your butt off to the day you die. Now that’s quality of life. LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!