Reptile Depot experience - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
reptileman17
Reptile Depot experience

Hi a few weeks ago I had a bad experience from reptile depot.

On September the 28th I called them and told them I was going to be ordering some reptiles. I told them everything I wanted (2 casque headed frogs, 1 tiger legged waxy monkey frog, 1 brown mexican leaf frog, and 1 big eyed tree frog). They told me they ahd plenty and all were captive bred so they would be the same sizes and could be housed together. On Monday(29th) i paid 15 dollars and air mailed them a money order for 129.50. On Tuesday(30th) i called them to make sure the money came in and they said yes and that the frogs would be shipped out on Wednesday(1st). Then on Wednesday(1st) i called them to get delivery confirmation number. I found out that they had sold out of the tiger legged waxy monkey frogs even though the day before they said they would have them shipped wednesday(1st). They told me the only thing they could do is replace it with another frog and then they would also through in a bonus frog since they sold mine. They said the frogs would be shipped out on monday(6th). On tuesday(7th)I recieved my package. When i opened it i found out that they had forgot to send me the bonus frog and the replacement frog. I also noticed instead of giving me them all in the same size like promised the big eyed tree frog was almost 3 times the size of the rest. I called them up and the manager told me i would have to pay another 30 dollars to ship the ones they forgot because it was too pricey for them to pay. I told them I wasnt going to do that because i had already paid enough money for them even though they forgot two of them. He also told me that they never said they could be housed together and that all there big eyed frogs were that size. The manager told me the best he could do was send me a 20 dollar money order in the mail. He said the money order would be shipped out the same day(7th). Later that day i noticed that the mexican leaf frog had a big tumor on its chest. I emailed reptile depot and told them about it and emailed them two pictures of its tumor. They told me even though it was still in the 24 hour guarantee I would still have to pay 30 dollars to get another one shipped. Since then I have had both the casque headed frogs die and still have a sick brown mexican leaf frog. All of the frogs that have died have been kept in environments like there supposed to be in. Today the 20th of October I still havent recieved the 20 dollar refund from them that was supposably shipped on the 7th.
I looked on the better business bureau last night and here is what it says about there business.

WE RATE THIS COMPANY AS HAVING AN UNSATISFACTORY BUSINESS PERFORMANCE RECORD BASED ON A PATTERN OF FAILING TO RESPOND TO COMPLAINTS.

COMPLAINTS ALLEGE; RECIEPT OF SICK OR DEAD REPTILES, LATE DELIVERY, FAILURE TO RECEIVE MERCHANDISE, AND INCOMPLETE ORDERS OR DAMAGED MERCHANDISE. MOST CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUES AND THAT THEY WERE UNABLE TO RECIEVE REFUNDS OR REPLACEMENTS DESPITE RECIEVING PROMISES TO THE CONTRARY. tHE COMPANY RESPONDS TO A FEW COMPLAINTS BY PROVIDING REFUNDS/CREDITS OR SHIPPING MERCHANDISE. MOST COMPLAINTS REMAIN UNANSWERED.

Maybe one day I will recieve my refund back. I did this to let people know that they shouldn't order from a bad company like this.
If anyone would like to see pictures of the frog with the tumor, email me at reptileman17@aol.com
If you would like to see the report on reptile depot go to better business bureau online.

Thanks, Chris

Old 10-20-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
Sasheena
If you can post pictures here that would help everyone to see the condition of the frogs you received.

Was $20 the cost of the frog they sold out of?
What was the cost of the frog that had the tumour?

Seems to me they should at the very least refund you the cost of the frog you never received as well as the cost of the frog with the tumour.

Dunno much bout frogs though.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:30 PM   #3
reptileman17
says pictures to big let me email it to you. If anyone wants one just email me at reptileman17@aol.com or post a message saying you want one. Sorry about that inconvinience. One frog was 19.99 and the tumor one is 7.99.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
dwedeking
Here is chris's picture.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
Asuncion7
Sounds oh so familiar!

I am actually one of the people that complained to the Better Business Bureau about them.

This occurred several years ago, and because of it I will never purchase from them again, and anyone who asks I will offer up the same advice.

They too, said they'd ship what I ordered out. They didn't . It took several weeks, then once I got it, half of the stuff was missing or what was there was damaged and I never got the animal. The owner or manager whatever his is, said he was oh so sorry and would send out the replacement stuff ASAP. He apparently no longer had the animal I ordered and had already paid for. So he said he'd refund and then offered to refund all my monies and to keep the damaged stuff., then said I could order the animal again with him if I wanted to they'd have one in a few weeks (by the way it was a veiled cham and an entire setup, costing about $250) I said fine and decided to NOT order the animal from him, being totally discouraged by the situation. At any rate, 2 weeks later, no refund, nothing. So I call, oh it's been refunded as of today I was told...this I was told several time over about 3 weeks or so. Finally fed up. My husband called and got into it with whatever his name is, Larry I think, anyhow, that was useless, more lies and oh yeah you'll get it tomorrow. Well we finally decided to go through our Visa and get it back that way, we did, until Reptile Depot lied and said they never said they'd would refund AND that we had all the product (major lie). Because of that our account went overdrawn, because Visa took back the money they had earlier refunded, because it was debit Visa. Anyhow Visa said our only recourse was to send the damaged stuff back to Reptile Depot, make sure it had a return receipt and proof of mailing, heck they even said send COD. Anyhow, after that we filed another claim with Visa and got our money back.

This was totally unprofessional and quite frankly ridiculous. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM THE EVER!!!

Old 10-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #6
ReptileZ
WOW

I have been pondering ordering stuff from this place off and on quite a bit. I probably would have eventually gave in and bought something from this shop, but now after hearing this stuff, I think I'll stick with the trusted contacts I've already got.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!