Vote***financing Fauna***vote - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: ***Funding Poll** What do YOU think is appropriate? (More than 1 OK)
A general use fee of $35/year, membership would be required to access site 18 8.33%
A membership fee of $10-25/yr. to access the BOI 32 14.81%
$35/yr. general membership fee but BOI/classified free 24 11.11%
Increased advertising fees and fees for all advertising 81 37.50%
I don't care 7 3.24%
If there were a membership fee, I would not visit Fauna 75 34.72%
I have no concept of economics, I did not realize it costs money to run a website like this 4 1.85%
After seeing how hard Webslave works to maintain this site, I want to help 38 17.59%
Increase fines 47 21.76%
I have other ideas for funding which I have listed below in my post. 26 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #31
tarantulakeeper
Why I paid $25...

is for the same reason I contribute to my local FM radio station for hosting NPR...I come to this site often and I wanted to contribute. I didn't pay though, until I'd been lurking for about four months. I doubt I would have paid up front. Having access to the BOI for free helped me research who to send my money to, and who to avoid. As a long time keeper of tarantulas and having done many transactions via the internet I know how nervous one can get sending money to someone on trust. Believe me, there are scammers out there selling arachnids. I am a hobbiest, having increased my snakes from 2 to seven, and being able to access the BOI for free has been a benefit. If it keeps just one person from being taken by a crook, I think it should remain free.
It might be too difficult to do, but ebay got started with the seller being charged a small fee when an item sold. Maybe the classifieds could work that way, nothing to list an item, but a percentage given to fauna based on the sale price. Maybe fauna needs a 'pledge week', like a telethon. lol John

Old 01-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #32
kiote9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiote9
How about Fauna periodically (say annually, for example) reminding the members that this site takes money to run and it would be appreciated if those who use it contribute by sending a donation to help cover the cost of running this site.

I should clarify......by members I mean folks who are registered. I didn't understand the contributor coin until this thread. See, the BOI even helps itself!!!!! I must confess, it took me a minute or two to figure out exactly HOW to contribute. All you have to do is click on someone elses coin! Or find the bloody link to go to that page.....where ever it is.

Maybe if it was easier to contribute more people would voluntarily cough up a few bucks to keep Fauna strong.

Shelly Pauley

Old 01-28-2005, 08:48 PM   #33
John316
I voted to increase the fines.
Since it seems that a large number of the threads now degenerate into pissing matches, off subject posting, flaming, etc. I would think that Rich could easily fund this site by upping the ante so to speak.
Lowering the amount of warning points required before a fine is imposed would make Fauna a much more useful resource and have the added benefit of generating the much needed funds. Let's face it, many people take advantage of the generous amounts of warning points by sniping at every given opportunity.
At the very least the above suggestions would help weed out those who tend to lead the pack when a feeding frenzy breaks out.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #34
Lucille
DAGNABIT!

We have over 16,000 members. 70 people have voted so far.
PLEASE:

Email your Fauna friends and tell them to vote.
Promise your friends you will bake cookies if they vote
Tell your significant other that it will be a very lonely evening if they DON'T vote lol

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT 10%, or 1,600 members, to vote this poll. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #35
romad119
add different levels

How about making the contributer coin be linked to differing levels? Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum as examples. Maybe in increments of $10 starting at $15? Also if you go with paid classifieds have the fee tied into the level the person is. Gold for example would be charged less then the silver and so on.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #36
craig kade
I feel this site is very important, however I think the "casual" user would not pay even 10 bucks to join to check on somebody. Yes I know it is money well spent, but newbies may not know that at first. If someone gets ripped off I don't want them to have to pay to get on the BOI and talk about it. I also don't want to make people pay to view my ads or post positives about me. In my humble opinion the advertisers(including classified users) should kick in some money. I know I personally will try to buy from people with contributor buttons next to their names. I understand their are expenses to running this site, but it seems lately there has been a big push on raising money. Did costs just go up considerably?? I also voted to raise fines, I think at least dbl would be fair, I know we all lose our tempers(I have points myself), but the habitual offenders deserve to pay for their privileges. JMHO. Craig

Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 PM   #37
WebSlave
First off, I need to get rid of a misconception that this thread may give people. There NEVER has been any intention of making a blanket admission fee to this entire site. Please see THIS thread where I originally brought this up for discussion in another forum: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=57039

The admission fee was intended to be a minimal "credibility hurtle" to people posting on the BOI, classifieds, and probably several other forums or categories as well. Everything else would be completely free to any registered member without charge.

As for the comments about raising the fines, HAH! Look at the list of people who have been fined and have just ignore that. Many have come back again under false names, and certainly many are here even now that way.

Tell me, what are the biggest complaints most people have about the BOI? Think about them. If you were going to take a step about trying to resolve those problems (if you can't think of them, think harder....), what would YOU do? This is the only way I can think of that has even a fighting chance of working. And that was the major impetus behind my coming up with this proposal in the first place. The secondary consideration that I am just about bone tired of putting up with all of this for free certainly plays into it, but I have absolutely NO illusions that enough people would be willing to pay enough for the services offered here that I will retire a wealthy man. Maybe a happy meal once a month will be more like it.....

Anyway, just needed to straighten a few things out before they got blown out of proportion. I'm basically staying away from this site as much as possible and doing other things with my time to get away from here. So if some emails and messages go unanswered for a spell, that's the explanation.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:56 PM   #38
Lucille
I am sure that Rich will be looking in on this poll from time to time and I would ask everyone to participate.
I will be happy to answer any questions by IM, that I can, about polls and such.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #39
screamdreams
My thoughts...

Alot of interesting points brought up here but I think the BOI and all forums should remain free, BUT...there should most definently be a charge for all classifieds. etc. $36.50 a year sounds fair...10 cents a day...I think we could all adjust to that pretty easily. The same goes for banner ads, forum sponsors, etc...charge for all of it. Keep the fines in place.

Webslave - is it possible to "ban" an IP address??? Would that help cut down people registering under an new name in lieu of paying any fines??? I'm sure you've considered any and all alternatives but I was just curious as to any options thay might be available to you that would help eliminate that problem...

Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #40
Melle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I vote that all the forums, including the Board of Inquiry, remain free to read and post in, but that members must pay to post ads in the classifieds.

Agreed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread