14 foot Burmese killed after biting owner - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
Rattlesnake
"Detective Sgt. Scott E. Haley, who along with Sgt. Rodney A. North and Sgt. Christopher J. Burns responded Saturday afternoon to the basement of 50 Cleveland St., said they threw a blanket over the snake, which has a 14-foot striking distance and told everyone to evacuate"
Sgt. Burns doesn;t know what he is talking about, a 14' snake python doesn't have a strike range of 14' Maybe a range of 5 to 7' at most.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
DeVackHerps
i think people that go to school, high school should take at least 1 coarse in animlas and a big part of it as reptiles. big part of this world is animals. and people always say "oh i didnt know" when it omce sot them removing them the wrong way. or saying 14 foot stikeing distance. i feel so bad for the snake.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
lindalou971
jesus

jesus was a great snake and he was my son's pet. they did not want to have to cut it or pry open his mouth to get him to release his grip on gary. my son works nights and was sound asleep when he heard the zapping of the heat rock. he immediately went to jesus rescue when he heard the noise. jesus had been being zapped for quite a while. he ended up biting gary and then squeezing him, being scared now, because of the pain of the bite and the power of the squeeze everyone paniced. the last thing any one of the kids wanting to do was to hurt the snake, gary would not let anyone touch jesus until he started losing feeling in his arm. the snake would not let go of the grip he had. so gary's friend, cowboy, cut him with the only thing handy, which was a machete. the snake released gary then went after cowboy it was like something out of a sci-fi movie. The police then had to be called cause the snake was hurt beyond help and very angry. the rest is history. but jesus was loved by all here and he had a decent burial. we are not cruel to animals the events of the flooding caused by the hurricane did not only take away the life of jesus but destroyed the whole basement. we miss him .at least we still have some great photo's

Old 08-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
scalesnstuff
Well....

I for one like to see a photo of a 180 pound burmese python. My 8' only weighs 14 pounds and my 9' however weighs 26 lbs (I think the previous owner power fed this one, he is supposedly a year and a half old). BTW Harold these are the display burms I was asking about a couple of months ago, the albino green never showed up.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
lindalou971
jesus

if you click on my comment and go to my gallery there is a picture of jesus with my son i think i am not sure of how to send you a picture unless you e-mail me. I know jesus was 180 cause we took him to the vet for a mouth infection and cleared the office so if you know how I get a picture to you please let me know my e-mail is lindalou_971@msn.com later la

Old 08-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #16
lindalou971
you know what, I really don't know the striking distance of the snake. all I know is that my son loved his snake, and the snake kept squeezing and biting him they have a very powerful grip, there were no options left.. the police wrote their story. with the facts that they had. we wanted the snake to live we waited until we exhausted all of our options before getting the police involved. he was breaking my kids arm. my kid kept saying no do not hurt him but jesus kept squeezing tighter and tighter still with his teeth sunk into his hand all us bystanders took matters into our own hands I prefer my son's life versus jesus.. we are not cruel to animals and yes he was the best fed snake ever but his cage along with our whole basement was under water and yep insurance covered nothing but we gave jesus a very proper burial and yes there were a lot of tears he was a great pet until he got electrocuted, he had no idea gary was trying to help him so let up on the cruelty to animals we loved him

Old 08-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #17
SPJ
Your son NEVER should have had that snake and needs to adopt out his RTB.
He has NO idea what he is doing.
I have been struck and coiled by a retic that was just about the same size (180 lb burmese, yeah right) and could not get him off myself. You know what I did? Had the wife pour a bit of grain alcohol on it's head. He released immediately.

Anyone one who knows anything about keeping snakes knows you do not use heat rocks, do not attempt to handle a large constrictor by themselves, and keep neccessary items nearby (alcohol, hooks) in the event of a problem.

That snake never should have been hacked by a machete or blown away by the police.

Your son is just another example of an irresponsible snake owner which led to the death of an animal and outrageous media reporting.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #18
lindalou971
thanks for the insight

you are right.. and it was outrageous media. In a time of panic you don't think of alchohol but now we will keep a bottle right next to the other snake we did not want to hurt jesus thanks for making us feel crappy again. need I remind you that the cellar was under water and everything down there was getting ruined there was more going on then just the snake the hurricane thing was going on i can e-mail you a picture if you want to see jesus he did weigh 140 lbs and he was 14 ft long .linda

Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #19
lindalou971
jesus was a big snake check out pics in my gallery

I have a picture of Jesus in my gallery check out the pics under lindalou

Old 08-31-2006, 08:04 PM   #20
Tim Cole
Thumbs down Lesson learned the hard way...

NO HOT ROCKS! Cut off the cords and use them to assist shedding only!
I would also have the scales checked. I have kept pythons that were 150lbs that were larger than that one. I did go to the photo gallery.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!