shipping questions? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-29-2005, 12:03 AM   #1
geckogrl6
shipping questions?

I have to ship my first gecko. I am planning on using a box that is 8x9x5 or so. How thick should the styrofoam be? How big a heat pack should I use? I was thinking two holes on each side. Sound right? I'm very nervous

Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
Lisa, check out the shipping forum. Here is a link to a thread that Chris set up.
Shipping Link
The styro thickness depends on temps but the thicker the better. A forty hour heat pack but this depends on the temps by you and the destination. As far as holes go. That is debateable. Some say yes airholes and some say no air holes. Personally I punch one hole in the top corner with a screwdriver and in the oppisite corner on the bottom also.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
geckogrl6
Thanks. I had seen the post, but the box I am using is somewhat smaller and those 40hr heat packs look big for the box. I don't want to overheat him.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Chris@TSE
the box we used in the guide was 12x9x5. a forty hour pack in a box as you have described should work fine, just keep it distanced from the actual container holding the animal. be sure to wrap it as well in a layer or two of newspaper, then tape it to the side of the box rather the top. this should work fine. if you like you can photograph your box and the pack so we can compare actual size and make a more informed suggestion but I do beleive you should be fine. good luck!

Old 11-29-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
groovygeckos
You might consider the insulation you can find in the harware store, its getting pretty cold out there. It will also make a box that is pretty hard to crush. Watch for snowstorms along the route to prevent delays. And yes keep some distance between the container and the pack and you should be fine. The heat pack needs a little air, but some say the box can 'breath' w/ no holes and all of the seams taped. Not sure on that one myself, so have used at least one hole. You can put a hole through the box and not the insulation which is probably best in the cold. Or no holes as noone seems to have a problem doing this.

Im done shipping for now after a few recent delays and pulling my hair out over them. The animals made it in both cases though, Thankfully.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!