Shipping overseas. Some questions. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Shipping overseas. Some questions.

OK, got an email today from someone over in the UAE. Deira, Dubai to be exact.
To make a long story shorter, He wants me to send him a shipping estimate for the purchase of a boa. At first, i was like, " As per My TOS, I don't charge for shipping unless under $250" He rights back letting Me know his address is in the United Arab Emerate (sp). Well, needless to say, this is the other side of the world literally, and My concern would be for the legalities involved, as well as the boa itself. I never dreamed anyone would want a boa shipped that far away, so did not clause My TOS. I am thinking I probably better do this. LOL I think I'll turn this one down, but would still like to know about this sort of thing.

On to My questions...........
What exactly would this sort of shipment require legally? Would there be quarantine like here in the US? Seeing as how it's not a native ssp to that part of the world, you'd think possibly vaccines, quarantines, and about 2 lbs of paperwork would be in order. (just a wild guess)

Is this really worth the hastle for a mesely $600 order? Shipping alone may run more than 1/2 of that, and who knows what other fees may apply. And if quarantined, how long? If they hold it for 2 weeks, that uses up my guarantee time. (well, sort of anyway). What about Customs? Permits? CITES stuff? (I know, bred here no CITES needed. But this aint shipping to here, it would be shipping to there).

Anyone with a better clue than Me care to fill me in, or point Me in the right direction? If nothing else, I will end up more knowledgeable about it. LOL

Thanks,
Rick

Old 06-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
reptiler ron
Richard,it is not worth the hassel to ship one snake.Yes CTIES permits would be needed $25.00.Air frieght wooud have to be paid up front and booked in advance.U S fish and wild life clearnce $125.00. I'm not sure but you would probaly need a U S F &W licence also. RON UNRUH

Old 06-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Hey Ron,
Thanks for the reply. Not too worried about the shipping part itself. I have a DHL Worldwide account, and am in the process of getting Delta verified. I would be more concerned with the legal parts. The paper trails that I am sure would accompany such a shipment. And like you mentioned, USF&W. They probably have a pound of papers themselves for Me to fill out. LOL

I've wondered about this for a while, and thought it may be less of a pain to ship out, than to have shipped in. Maybe I am way off though. Have you shipped into the US before or out? I bought My mastino from Itally, shipped in to Cali. and it ended up being pretty pricey (just under 3K total), and a lot more of a pain than I was looking for at the time. Would be nice to know shipping out would be less of a hastle, but maybe not.

Thanks again,
Rick

Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
I'm in agreement with Ron here. You should probably forget the whole thing. We imported from South America recently and it was really hassle. Oddly enough five years ago we also brought a Neapolitan Mastiff from overseas!

Regards.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
I'm in agreement with Ron here. You should probably forget the whole thing. We imported from South America recently and it was really hassle. Oddly enough five years ago we also brought a Neapolitan Mastiff from overseas!

Regards.
Those are AWSOME dogs. I will own another one day. You just watch and see. LOL My X managed to get mine from Me in the seperation. And My frilly, my ATB, and my first salmon!

But, back on track..........I have pretty much sunken the idea for one lousy snake, but would still like to know about what all is involved, what papers, etc. just for the knowledge if nothing else.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 06-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Rick,

Hope you have a few days off from your activities, you will need them to go through this link:

http://www.fws.gov/permits/

Enjoy

Old 06-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
reptiler ron
Richard,before you would want to do anything you would want to call USF&WS to find out it the UAE is a legal country to deal with.AS far as to shipping to a country half way around the world it would be bset to go airlines.AS to answer your ? about my import export expernce 13 yrs in the trade.Not really a big deal but probaly a headace for first time doing so.I will sit down tomorrow and make a list of what you will need to know.SEnd me your email adress to hunruh771@earthlink.net and I will get back to you tomorrow night RON UNRUH

Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
LOL Better wait till the weekend then Dan. I been to that site once, but for a different reason. Never even saw the /permits section.

Ron, email sent.

Thanks again,
Rick

Old 07-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
HA HA HA.............Looks like this one may turn into another scam type thing. Told him I "could not do it", and even if I was interested, it would take a min of 60 days for all the paperwork and maybe longer, and that the fees involved may very well exceed the cost of the boa by twice.
His responce to NO..............

Quote:
Richard
i understand you very well. i will foot the bill for all the cost you might incur. just go ahead with the procesing and get back to me with the total cost and i will tell you what and what next.
waiting to read from you
james

Anyone ever heard of this guy? BOI search returns nothing.........

James Kinghill of the United Arab Emerate
james_kingsmill006@yahoo.com

Says he got My info from the ad I put up at RTB. I didn't place an ad at RTB. Thought I did, but NOPE.

Anyway, gonna see if i can have some more fun. Better bring out My creative side now. LOL

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!