The People's Choice - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #91
Chameleon Company
You can lead a horse to water ...

Quote:
I have done tons of research. I come to Fauna to get the expertise of those who have been keepers and to ask questions and talk with those who have experience.
If accessing sites were the answer to everything there would be no need for any forums here on Fauna, but I like talking to others and getting to know what works for them. I think the Fauna forums are a positive experience.
Lucille, all that is well and good. What seemed a horrid twist on Mike's words was your self-serving example how others had not "chimed in to help you" in a forum completely unrelated to this one. Your question was more of a chat or discussion topic, and yet you chose to blame others for not answering your "questions". You asked for "expert" advice, and I gave it to you.

Your criticism here was mis-directed, and should go to a larger issue which Rich has addressed already, and which I believe you have seen, namely his de-emphasis of the side-bar forums. Lack of participation there is not the fault of those experts whose bells you thought should have been rung, and who did not come running to address what you would "love to hear". Rich made an effort to rejuvenite them some time ago, and it did not work. If there is any irony here, its that what remained of that failed effort morphed into the new cops on the beat.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #92
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Company
You asked for "expert" advice, and I gave it to you.
I will repeat your advice, with your name, to the other chameleon folk I meet.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #93
WebSlave
Quote:
Your criticism here was mis-directed, and should go to a larger issue which Rich has addressed already, and which I believe you have seen, namely his de-emphasis of the side-bar forums. Lack of participation there is not the fault of those experts whose bells you thought should have been rung, and who did not come running to address what you would "love to hear".
So whose fault is it that those "experts" have not participated in the forums related to their specialty? Take your yourself as an example, Jim. Certainly you have an interest in Chameleons, but you treat the Chameleon discussion forum here as some place that you may get your feet dirty if you participate there. But yet you have found yourself comfortable in engaging in discussions in the BOI and elsewhere on this site. Just curious about why that Chameleon forum here is so repugnant to you to participate within.

Quote:
Rich made an effort to rejuvenite them some time ago, and it did not work. If there is any irony here, its that what remained of that failed effort morphed into the new cops on the beat.

Man I DO love irony. And certainly the irony about the complaints concerning the selection process for the "warning mods" does seem to escape people that most of my reasoning for selecting those members to participate in this plan was EXACTLY for this very reason. THOSE people were willing to make the extra effort to help out here. THEY demonstrated the willingness to try to make a difference here. Not all of them, of course, as some were just making the extra effort FINANCIALLY. But still, this point does seem to escape some people, even if in some cases it is purposely overlooked. Man, isn't IRONY fun?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #94
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
So whose fault is it that those "experts" have not participated in the forums related to their specialty? Take your yourself as an example, Jim. Certainly you have an interest in Chameleons, but you treat the Chameleon discussion forum here as some place that you may get your feet dirty if you participate there. But yet you have found yourself comfortable in engaging in discussions in the BOI and elsewhere on this site. Just curious about why that Chameleon forum here is so repugnant to you to participate within.

Exactly. As a newbie to chameleons, I got told by Jim essentially 'don't bother me for chameleon info, just find a website'

Most people if they look for chameleons would not use a vendor with that attitude, they want to make their purchases from someone as enthusiastic as they are about these wonderful critters.

Even if I can (and have found) info on sites, I want to meet chameleon folk. I like the forums here.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #95
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Exactly. As a newbie to chameleons, I got told by Jim essentially 'don't bother me for chameleon info, just find a website'

Most people if they look for chameleons would not use a vendor with that attitude, they want to make their purchases from someone as enthusiastic as they are about these wonderful critters.

Even if I can (and have found) info on sites, I want to meet chameleon folk. I like the forums here.
It doesn't seem like that's what he said to me.

Here's a quote.

Here's some "help". "Experienced keepers" have expended enormous time and efforts putting together websites chock-full of information which is freely available to you, and which you know how to access. If you lack the initiative to research the basic husbandry needs yourself, and instead are relying on others to bring it to your doorstep in a forum, then heed your own characterization that chameleons are "challenging", and don't get one.

My issue is not with your "question" there, but rather with your above post here. Glad to "help" anytime

End quote

Seems more like he said get off your butt and go do some research instead of waiting for someone to come to you to answer the questions you're too lazy to research yourself.

The forums may be underutilized but I seriously doubt that this will bring more traffic to them.

It will, however, make you look rather foolish as well as somewhat lazy and rather expecting this info to be dropped in your lap as if you're intitled to it.

I suspect, not knowing for sure, but I do this myself, that most when looking for information go to the sites of those with the animals I'm interested in to see what they have to say, check links, and then contact them there.

Is there some reason you can't do this lucille?

It seems to me that becoming informed and THEN trying to get others talking about it here in the forums may have been a better route to forum participation than this plan you've facilitated; poor me, I know so little, won't one of you who knows more come and save me?

See what I mean?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #96
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
It doesn't seem like that's what he said to me.

Here's a quote.

Here's some "help". "Experienced keepers" have expended enormous time and efforts putting together websites chock-full of information which is freely available to you, and which you know how to access. If you lack the initiative to research the basic husbandry needs yourself, and instead are relying on others to bring it to your doorstep in a forum, then heed your own characterization that chameleons are "challenging", and don't get one.

My issue is not with your "question" there, but rather with your above post here. Glad to "help" anytime

End quote

Seems more like he said get off your butt and go do some research instead of waiting for someone to come to you to answer the questions you're too lazy to research yourself.

The forums may be underutilized but I seriously doubt that this will bring more traffic to them.

It will, however, make you look rather foolish as well as somewhat lazy and rather expecting this info to be dropped in your lap as if you're intitled to it.

I suspect, not knowing for sure, but I do this myself, that most when looking for information go to the sites of those with the animals I'm interested in to see what they have to say, check links, and then contact them there.

Is there some reason you can't do this lucille?

It seems to me that becoming informed and THEN trying to get others talking about it here in the forums may have been a better route to forum participation than this plan you've facilitated; poor me, I know so little, won't one of you who knows more come and save me?

See what I mean?
Perhaps you skipped over the mention I have made of my research in a later post. But then, you take any opportunity to bash some people, Wesley.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #97
Chameleon Company
Glad you engaged this Rich !

Quote:
Webslave writes:
So whose fault is it that those "experts" have not participated in the forums related to their specialty? Take your yourself as an example, Jim. Certainly you have an interest in Chameleons, but you treat the Chameleon discussion forum here as some place that you may get your feet dirty if you participate there. But yet you have found yourself comfortable in engaging in discussions in the BOI and elsewhere on this site. Just curious about why that Chameleon forum here is so repugnant to you to participate within
See if I can do this without calling the baby ugly, or garnering any more warning points. As you said Rich, Take you yourself as an example, Jim. OK, let's do it.

1) I have a good number of posts in that forum, although not as many since you decided it was not worthy of moderation.

2) Back when you were soliciting mod's there, your first choice crapped out, and was removed by you. I then PM'd you and volunteered to take it over, and make it into something. I specifically pointed out to you that it would be a better use of my time than the BOI. You said you would consider it, but "no thanks" for now, as you were leaning against any more mod's. You chose to leave that position unfilled, as you have now let all forums wane.

3) There are other chameleon forums which have far more participation now than the Fauna one, and I am much more active there. Neither you nor I have time to go to every forum, me chameleons and you snakes, etc., and answer all comers. I post where the audience is largest.

Where did I say it was "repugnant", or that it would "dirty my feet? Shame on you. If anything is "repugnant" here Rich, it is how quickly you seem to forget. You chose to de-emphasize those forums, while I made a specific appeal to you otherwise regarding the one in question. What I took issue with was Lucille's claim here that she had not been adequately responded to there. That is not a difficult concept to understand, or is it ?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #98
Wilomn
Well, loosewheel, I do try to point out stupidity when I see it begin a rampant run.

Funny how you and that rampant stupidity have been so close of late, is it not? If I recall correctly the last time was just a few days ago when you were giving advice about law enforcement, or lack thereof in certain instances, when you really had no knowledge fit to be giving.

Maybe you will find some poor caring person who will take pity on the "I know so little please help me learn and grow" persona you so like to pitch as the real you, but I don't think you're really entitled to complain about not getting that from those who really know what and who you are.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #99
Lucille
Wesley, we are who we are. You, if I remember, are a real estate clerk. That has nothing to do with finding new knowledge, and that is the purpose of the forums. I have done considerable research but there is nothing like talking to people who actually keep the reptile one is interested in.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #100
Wilomn
Not even so much as a clerk. But be that as it may, the lack must lie with the one, loosewheel, who does the searching. There is so much info out there, particularly on chams, that the inability to find it must be ....... yours?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!