1st Bull Snake! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
blastemup
1st Bull Snake!

After reading this forum for a couple of weeks, I decided to get a bull snake. I ordered it from Homegrown Herps. It came in today. I am very impressed! I admit, I was nervous about handling it, so I just put the cup he was in inside the boaphile I had ready for him. I am trying to leave him alone for a few days--but I couldn't help peeking in on him every once in awhile. The second time I looked in he was right up by the front looking out at me in a striking pose! As I stepped away, wham, he struck up against the plexiglass! I have several corn and king snakes, and I am used to handling them all the time. But, I know I am going to be very nervous the first time I take out this one!
I just joined the forum and look forward to reading more about your experiences and telling you about mine!
Best regards,
Bill

Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
homegrownherps
I fooled you.

Just kidding ...its all bluff , I am sure that if you pick him up he wont try that.
he may hiss a bit , but once he gets used to being handled he'll be just a calm as a corn.
And he needs time to adjust to the new surroundings as well as the trip.
Give him a few days, give him a meal, wait about two more days and then start to handle him.

Now you can take some pics, and put them in the photo contest.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Bulls ROCK! but most of the time they are ALL bluff!

Congrats on your new addition! I cannot WAIT for those pictures ^_-

Old 06-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
Otter_23
I wish you guys were completely right but I have one that 100% not bluff and has tagged me on several occassions. The others are pretty good with one other that puts on a show but hasn't tagged me yet. I do have to say the non-bluffer is a Texas bull which could explain it .

Old 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter_23
I wish you guys were completely right but I have one that 100% not bluff and has tagged me on several occassions. The others are pretty good with one other that puts on a show but hasn't tagged me yet. I do have to say the non-bluffer is a Texas bull which could explain it .

There are exceptions in every case, I have a corn snake that will tag you every chance he gets. Most of the time I find that the W/C ones will be much more aggressive towards the human hand than the captive hatched ones.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
norsmis
I agree with Jim. I had the meanest corn snake that ever lived a few years back and he would bite repeatedly every chance he got. I think he had small snake complex because he was only about 3' long but man could he bite!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!