Female Bull Frog hiding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
HopkinsHerps
Female Bull Frog hiding?

About a week or so ago my female Albino Amer. Bull Frog dug in & has been hiding ever since. There is also a male w/ her, (trying to breed them) but he is out & about. I live in MD,Springtime the room is warm, so I doubt she is hybernating. Any ideas? Thanks Jeff

Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
dieselfan
Daytime/Nighttime average temps?
Enclosure size?
land to water ratio?water temps?
Did they hibernate?
Both of your frogs ages/size?
Alot more details are needed to help with your delimma..

Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
HopkinsHerps
day temps. @82, nite @74
20 gal long
75 % water
no hybernate yet
last aug. I bought 1" ,now about 4" male & 3 1/2" for female
Thanks Jeff

Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
dieselfan
Breeding season in the Northern Hemisphere is March-August
Sexual maturity is typicaly reached after 3-5 years for wild frogs
American Bullfrogs should have @ least a 55-gal tank. (Go larger if you can, I have read that
hydroponic flood tables work well. However you will need to construct your own screened lid)
UVA & UVB lighting is needed,a basking area is a must.
Males are very territorial
Frogs ahould be able to fully submerge themselves in the aquatic part of your setup
I have never heard of anyone captive breeding this species in a small indoor enclosure. Not saying it cant be done though. I think you would have better luck with a larger outdoor setup. Try checking out http://www.fao.org/fishery/cultureds...catesbeiana/en
Good luck..

Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
HopkinsHerps
Thanks for the info. on that website, I will do an outdoor thing, I have plenty of room in my yard, then I can bring them in for the winter. I do plan to breed them, so if outdoor helps , I can do that. Do you think she is in late hybernation, or shoud I bring her out? Thanks again, Jeff HopkinsHerps

Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
dieselfan
She might just be hiding out due to the stress of being relocated. If you dig her out I'm sure it will just upset her more and she will probably burrow back down into the substrate anyways. Make sure there are crickets or what ever your feeding them available at night. She will most likely be more active at night when she feels she has some privacy. Also your enclosure being only 20gal might have added to her stress along with being in a new set up and with a roommate.. Oh and was she from a farm or was she wild caught?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
HopkinsHerps
Probably farm ,I got them from the Hamburg show last Aug.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!