Jeff Jones drymarchonsnakes.com - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
heart4herps
Thumbs down Jeff Jones drymarchonsnakes.com

I tried to purchase an Eastern Indigo snake from Jeff Jones and when he lost the snake he wouldn't return my $500 deposit.

Here is a copy of both sides of the check with personal info removed.

Email correspondence. No mention was made of a deposit refund policy and as of the posting of this thread there is nothing on his site about this either. I made screen shots in case this changes.

Emails follow:

enjoyed speaking with you earlier this evening. I just visited your website and I'd like one of the new male hatchlings. What's the best way to get the deposit to you?

Thanks!

Laurie Hyatt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 7:35 PM
To: laurie
Subject: Re: indigo

Hi,

Yes,
I planned to list some on Kingsnake this week. You emailed at the right time. I don't plan on them lasting long.

I have 9 eastern Indigo eggs incubating and 8 Texas Indigo this year.
They will hatch June 14 - thru July 14. These will be 750 male and 1000.00 for female or 1650.00 a pair

I also have Texas indigo and yellow and black tail cribos, the South American Indigos for sale.

I currently have a 2006 male eastern indigo --800.00
and a 1999 female for sale she is about 7 ft --2500.00
These could be obtained now, the eggs I will be taking a 250.00 deposit on and either ship when they hatch or once feeding on pinkies, buyers choice. Some people prefer to start there own and others want them feeding on pinkies before taking possession.
Please check out my new sight. It is still under construction but its a start.

www.drymarchonsnakes.com

Thanks,
Jeff Jones
IL
[PERSONAL CONTACT REMOVED]

----- Original Message -----
To: z3zoo@mtco.com
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 3:39 PM
Subject: indigo

Hello,

I'm looking for an indigo snake. Do you have any for sale?

Thank you,

Laurie Hyatt

Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: indigos

I totally understand. The 500.00 check arrived today. All is well with the eggs and one male is what I will put on reserve. I figure next day shipping back to you will be some where around 30-40.00 dollars I will get the specifics when they hatch. I will figure only 250.00 plus shipping is due at hatch then. If you decide to pick up the female down the road I will honor the deal of 850.00 plus shipping when you are ready. How does that sound.
Also keep me posted on the paper work from Victoria Davis. I will email you as soon as they hatch. Your funds arrived here first and so you will get the first male. I believe 5 will be placed by end of the week.
I may sell out this year but keep me in mind down the road on a female. I will keep your information on file.
Thanks,
Jeff

To: 'jeff jones'
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 12:03 PM
Subject: indigos

Hi Jeff,

Just checking to see if my check arrived and also to ask if it would be a big problem to go back to my original plan of getting the one male only (sorry for changing my mind again!). It's a bit much financially for me. I really do apologize and hope this doesn't cause any issues.

Hope all is going well with the babies to be!

Thanks again for everything,

Laurie

Excellent - thanks so much! I will definitely keep this in mind and maybe try again next year. I really would love to have a breeding pair eventually.

Laurie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 4:34 PM

I totally understand. The 500.00 check arrived today. All is well with the eggs and one male is what I will put on reserve. I figure next day shipping back to you will be some where around 30-40.00 dollars I will get the specifics when they hatch. I will figure only 250.00 plus shipping is due at hatch then. If you decide to pick up the female down the road I will honor the deal of 850.00 plus shipping when you are ready. How does that sound.
Also keep me posted on the paper work from Victoria Davis. I will email you as soon as they hatch. Your funds arrived here first and so you will get the first male. I believe 5 will be placed by end of the week.
I may sell out this year but keep me in mind down the road on a female. I will keep your information on file.
Thanks,
Jeff

Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 12:03 PM
Subject: indigos

Hi Jeff,

Just checking to see if my check arrived and also to ask if it would be a big problem to go back to my original plan of getting the one male only (sorry for changing my mind again!). It's a bit much financially for me. I really do apologize and hope this doesn't cause any issues.

Hope all is going well with the babies to be!

Thanks again for everything,

Laurie

Great - I'll send the first check out today! I have a copy of the permit in PDF format. Do you know which pages need to be filled out? I only printed out the first one but I'm not sure what else is needed. Also, do I send the form to you or directly to the Department of the Interior, US Fish and Wildlife? I attached the form that was sent to me.

I honestly don't remember where I found you but it might have been kingsnake.com.

Laurie

Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 4:46 AM

That would be fine with me.
I will put a pair on hold and await the initial 500.00 retaining fee. If you need any additional information from me for the permit, just let me know. I wanted to ask, how did you get my name/email? Its nice to know what advertisement works the best. Generally it word of mouth with these.
Thanks
Jeff

Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 12:51 PM
Subject: RE: indigo

If it's okay, I'd like to go with male/female pair. Since it's going to take awhile to get the permit that will give me time to get the money to you. Would you mind if I make payments each month? I was told it will take up to 90 days to get the permit so I was thinking of sending $500 per month. Please let me know if this is all right with you.

Thanks!

Laurie

Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:28 AM

Hi,
you can send 250.00 as deposit on one male 2007 eastern Indigo.
I will email you as soon as they hatch. The other 500.00 will be due once he hatches with shipping cost for next day delivery by Fed Ex or DHL your choice.

My name & Address is:

Jeff Jones

Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 12:23 AM
Subject: RE: indigo

I enjoyed speaking with you earlier this evening. I just visited your website and I'd like one of the new male hatchlings. What's the best way to get the deposit to you?

Thanks!

Laurie Hyatt

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 7:35 PM

Hi,

Yes,
I planned to list some on Kingsnake this week. You emailed at the right time. I don't plan on them lasting long.

I have 9 eastern Indigo eggs incubating and 8 Texas Indigo this year.
They will hatch June 14 - thru July 14. These will be 750 male and 1000.00 for female or 1650.00 a pair

I also have Texas indigo and yellow and black tail cribos, the South American Indigos for sale.

I currently have a 2006 male eastern indigo --800.00
and a 1999 female for sale she is about 7 ft --2500.00
These could be obtained now, the eggs I will be taking a 250.00 deposit on and either ship when they hatch or once feeding on pinkies, buyers choice. Some people prefer to start there own and others want them feeding on pinkies before taking possession.
Please check out my new sight. It is still under construction but its a start.

www.drymarchonsnakes.com

Thanks,
Jeff Jones
IL

To: z3zoo@mtco.com
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 3:39 PM
Subject: indigo

Hello,

I'm looking for an indigo snake. Do you have any for sale?

Thank you,

Laurie Hyatt

What follows here is the Federal Permit application information:

This is a new application for an Interstate Commerce permit. I understand that the application fee is $100.

A. For Wildlife:
1. Provide the common and scientific names of the species being requested for
coverage in the permit and their status (endangered (E) or threatened (T)).
Common name: Eastern Indigo.
Scientific name: Drymarchon couperi.

2. Identify the activity sought to be authorized for each species.
Purchasing male and female as companions and for breeding purposes.

3. Provide the sex, birth date, birth place, age, number of specimens, and identifying
features (e.g., band number, collar number, scars, tattoo number, etc.).

4. Provide the name, address and telephone number of the seller.
Jeff Jones

5. State whether the wildlife has been captively bred or removed from the wild.
Captive bred.

6. Provide the expected time needed to complete transaction(s).

7. Provide a complete description with photographs and/or diagrams of the area and
facilities where wildlife will be held in captivity, and description of arrangements
for care during transportation and maintenance.
Each will be kept in a separate 40 gallon tank with locking mesh lids and proper lighting, heating, substrate, hide boxes, and water containers.

8. Describe experience with breeding this or similar species in the past.
I have not bred any reptiles yet.

9. Provide the full names of person(s) who will care for live specimens, including
any experience in raising, caring for, and propagating similar wildlife.
Laurie A. Hyatt: I have been caring for 6 reptiles (3 snakes, 3 lizards) for over 5 years and they are all in excellent health.

10. List mortalities resulting from your activities with these or similar species in the
last 2 years. Provide an explanation of each mortality event and the procedures
employed or modified to eliminate any future mortality events.
No mortalities within the last 2 years.

11. Indicate your willingness to participate in a cooperative breeding or propagation
program or to contribute data to a database or studbook.
I would like to participate in any programs available.

12. Provide a statement from the wildlife breeder that the wildlife was bred at their home/facility. This statement must include the name and address of the breeder,
date of birth or hatch, band number or any other identifying marks or characteristics.
Jeff Jones

13. Please provide detailed information on how you propose to manage your breeding
stock to uniquely identify all progeny, and to ensure that the genetic diversity and
integrity of your breeding stock are maintained to the maximum extent possible.

More emails:

Woohoo!!! Congratulations "Dad!"

I'm still waiting on the permit.

Laurie

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:01 PM

HI,
The first eastern egg opened this AM,so 109 days for the first egg. The rest of this clutch should hatch over the next 3-5 days and then the Texas are next. I would expect within the next 2 weeks
Jeff

Thanks so much for looking into this Jeff - I really appreciate it. So glad to hear about the babies. I can't wait to see mine in person. This is literally a lifelong dream coming true. I've wanted an Indigo since I was around 7-8 and saw one for the first time.

Do you have any pictures yet?

Laurie

Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:10 PM
To: Laurie Hyatt

Hi,
I guess there has been a change in command which has slowed things down. Victoria Davis has stepped down and her replacement isn't up to speed. He tells me there is a large stack of applications awaiting approval and he will try to make it a priority. They do have the applications and they should be processing soon.
Sorry for the delay. The snakes on the other hand just took the first meal last weekend and should be ready to feed again Friday. I will have them feeding on pinkies which should also make it easier for you to care for
Jeff

Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:43 PM
Subject: RE: indigos

The permit still hasn't shown up. Do you have any contact information for the office in your district? I know they got the form - the check cleared my account last month.

How are the babies doing?

Laurie Hyatt

I've got my heart set on that little guy. Next month should be better financially (I don't think there are any more major payments due). Will that be all right? Do you only have the one left? Is he friendly? Are there any pictures?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:45 PM

I am sorry I don't have any way to accept credit card at this time.

You have your interstate permit in hand, is it dated for only this year?

Would you prefer to leave the deposit for a 2008 hatch. I will have more of these every year from now on. I am here to stay and would have no problem placing this last baby if you let me know before Oct 15 breeder show at Chicago.
Just let me know,
Thanks,
Jeff

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I'm having a terrible time getting the last $300 together for my
> Eastern Indigo. Do you by chance take credit cards?
>
> Laurie Hyatt

Oh no - I'm sorry to hear that and I hope he's okay! I'm really sorry I took so long to pay for the snake and hope I didn't inconvenience you too much. I guess considering my money situation a refund would be best for now and I could maybe try again next year.

Thank you for being so accommodating and helpful.

Laurie Hyatt

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 8:43 PM
To: Laurie Hyatt

Hi,

Sorry, about the delay. I have received both of your checks and would agree the snake is paid in full. I didn't cash the first check do to the fact that your snake has managed to pop the lid off his container and is free in my house. I figured he would turn up by now. I have had them get out before and usually within a week or two they show up. I keep all my adults in the barn in vision cages but the babies my wife lets me keep inside to make sure they get weekly feedings and to keep a closer eye on them. They are all housed in plastic sweater boxes and he is the last one I had left. I am sorry to bare such news. I didn't feel comfortable cashing either of the checks you sent yet just because I didn't have the snake ready to ship. He is eating great and is well fed and very hardy I am sure he's fine. I can either give this more time, or do a full refund or worse case scenario replace him in 2008.
Let me know what you would like done. We planned to take the kids to see the BEE movie tomorrow and will be out during the day, but I will reply tomorrow evening.
Jeff

To: <z3zoo@mtco.com>
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 1:41 PM

>
> Hello Jeff,
>
> I sent the final check a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard
> anything yet. I also haven't seen the checks come through my bank
> account yet. Please let me know if there is a problem.
>
> Laurie Hyatt

In closing...I don't recommend doing business with this person as he will keep your money and not send you the agreed upon animal! I would like my $500 back plus the $100 for the permit.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
SPJ
So after paying for the snake and the permit, he looses the snake he was supposed to send you, has no replacement, and won't refund your money?
What a load of crap. The permit is seller specific so it will not work with a different seller (you're out the money unless he supplies the snake).
He needs to send a refund for all of what you spent while dealing with him or send a satisfactory replacement animal ASAP.
There is NO reason for keeping any money when he LOST the snake. That's his problem. Not yours.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart4herps
do a full refund
Wait a minute. I missed this. He offered a full refund because of the escape. Take the refund.
Is this because you refuse to take anything except the lost snake? If so, you are being unreasonable. He lost the animal, told you, offered a full refund, and you post that he is a bad guy?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
heart4herps
No... he won't send me the money!!! I want my money back!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
heart4herps
I sent him several requests for my money to be returned and he has never replied to one of them!

Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 5:00 PM
To: 'z3zoo@mtco.com'
Subject:
Importance: High

Jeff,

I haven’t heard back from you regarding my refund of $500 and it’s been over a week since I first emailed you. Please send me my money.

Laurie

Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:53 PM
Subject: refund for Indigo

Hello Jeff,

I’m hoping you’re off work for vacation and just haven’t seen this yet. I really need the $500 I sent earlier this year as the first part of my deposit on the Indigo. I had hoped to receive it with the return of my two $150 checks but it wasn’t there. Please send it as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Laurie

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 3:08 PM
Subject: refund for Indigo

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for sending my two $150 checks back but I was also looking for a check for $500 from my earlier deposit. When can I expect it?

Thanks,

Laurie

Not one of these was answered!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
SPJ
OK. He stated full refund so he needs to send you a FULL refund. That $500 is yours not his. He lost the snake that deposit was on so he needs to refund it. He blew the deal, not you. There is no excuse for not sending that back immediately.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
heart4herps
Thank you. I've never posted anything negative about anyone before but $500 is a lot of money to lose!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Mary-Beth is KoRny
If this happened in 2007, why is the check made out for 5-7-2005?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
heart4herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth is KoRny
If this happened in 2007, why is the check made out for 5-7-2005?

LOL - I never noticed that! I guess I was thinking about something else when I filled it out. You can see right below that the real date in the banks stamp. I circled it in black.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
akaangela
good catch. I missed that, but you can see that the check was cashed 5-17-07.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!