Ray Thomas/Strickland- Phantomreptiles@yahoo.com ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
care2adopt
Ray Thomas/Strickland- Phantomreptiles@yahoo.com ?

Hi everyone- I'm new here and I came for a specific purpose- we have a major problem in my home town involving a person who is falsely representing himself as an animal rescue. By googling his name... I was led here, and read some very disturbing links.

I am hesitant in bringing it up because the posts are all very old, but this is a serious problem.

There is a man here in Charlotte, NC area, who goes by the names Ray Thomas or Strickland. His email is phantomreptiles@yahoo.com. He mostly uses Craigslist, but has been known to branch out into other local free adds.

He came to my attention because I have been a licensed animal rescuer for 12 years. We are a close knit group here in Charlotte, and I am one of the few rescuers that will take in exotics, including large boids and pythons. So when we started seeing a "new herp rescuer" posting, we got a little curious. He continually posted that he would take in any reptiles that were in need and give them a long life at his "very nice" habitat. Unfortunately, he was stupid enough to immediately post the animals for sale, on the same site he adopted them from, and the owners caught on. We started getting flooded with requests to verify his agency, and complaints about the care of the animals they "surrendered" to his "rescue". There is no verification- he doesn't have a 501c3 and he's not licensed. He's scamming for free reptiles to resell. So, we sent out a warning about him and let it go, since there really wasn't much else we could do.

Until yesterday, when he emailed me about some ferrets I had up for adoption. He offered me $25 for 3 ferrets, and when I explained that our adoption fees are non-negotiable ($150 for three and their cage and supplies) and that he had to go through an adoption application and adopting process (just being polite, because of course I would never adopt to him), he blew up. His first response was that his plan was to feed the ferrets to his snakes. Continually throughout his abusive emails he threatened adopting animals to feed them to snakes- puppies, kittens, ferrets whatever I suppose. He threatened specifically with "You never know who adopts your animals so watch out I will get them". I received several incoherent, abusive and childish emails. I've posted a few of them below here. Of course, I do know who adopts my animals and I have no fear that he will get them, but I was concerned enough to tap into the national network.

He's since been added to the national DNA (Do Not Adopt) list. All animal controls, shelters, adoption agencies, petstores that work with rescue, and newspapers have been given his name and alias. He'll not be allowed near them, or their animals. We've also been posting warnings in papers about his dealings.

My question is this: Is he still an "active" member of the herp community? Is he still selling animals? Has his reputation bounced back or gotten worse or anything, IE has anyone had any dealings with him recently? I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Like I said, the damage has been done, he's already been locked out, but some of us are interested in helping the owners of the animals sold prosecute for fraud so we are gathering what we can.

(This is just the jist, I didn't copy all of the emails)
____

from Ray thomas < s@yahoo.com">phantomreptile s@yahoo.com>
date Apr 30, 2008 4:24 AM
subject petfinder ferret

I will give you $25 for it all.

-----

Hello-

Our adoption fees are non-negotiable. We are charged with finding excellent homes for these animals, and we feel that if someone has a problem with a minimal adoption fee of $150 for all supplies and the kids, they will not be interested in spending much larger amounts on good food, care, and vet bills in the future. If you do have interest in one of our animals, please fill out an adoption application available at www.adoptcarol ina.com and someone may contact you.

------
rom Ray thomas < s@yahoo.com">phantomreptile s@yahoo.com>

hey ferrets are illegal any ways on her!
or didn't you get the memo.
Good luck selling that any ways.
im jus looking for good snake food!!!
like ferrets rabbits guineas and puppys and kittens

_---------

Ferrets are not illegal in North Carolina. Perhaps you could do a little bit of research on that topic. Ferrets are only illegal in the state of CA, Washington DC, NY, Bloomington Minnesota, Beaumont Texas, and Columbia Missouri. I happen to be the president of the ferret club for NC...believe me, I am quite aware of the laws.

Our rescue ferrets are not "For sale". They are for adoption. The prices are to help us cover their vet bills. If $75 for a ferret and cage is too much for you to pay, you will obviously dump the poor baby when you see a vet bill of $350 just for routine shots. That is our logic.

Obviously from your ignorant and cruel behavior, you'll not be allowed near a rescue ferret. From past exposure to your name and "rescue", Mr Strickland, we have already issued warnings. Because of this recent episode you will be placed on the DNA list- do not adopt, for nationwide rescuers and animal controls.

--------------------

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.
And i have no idea what you are talking about.!
You are a fool lame to the core.
So keep on guessing .
Hey you never know who buys your ferrets!!
if i get them they are food!!!!

Ferrets are not friend,THEY ARE FOOD!!
And if you had a license you would be known by someone!!
Every one i ask about you doesnt know you!!
So who are you again??? And where did you get your license--Oh i;m sorry at WALMART!!!
Tell whom ever you want!!
---------------------------

For the record, my license number etc is all easily obtained through any public office, and on my personal website. And I'm actually quite relieved I am not known in his little circle. But anyway, this whole thing is a mess and we are trying to figure out any recent activity from him. Any help would be appreciated- thank you all very much.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
SPJ
[quote=care2adopt]Is he still an "active" member of the herp community? [quote=care2adopt]
No. We don't want him around. He is scum. Every alia he has used has been brought to the communities attention to try and drive him out of business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by care2adopt
Is he still selling animals?
Evidently he is still trying but he cannot sell thru the normal channels since he is well known as scum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by care2adopt
Has his reputation bounced back
No and it never will. He has proven many times that he is a worthless human being.

Sorry to hear that you had to deal with this guy. He needs to go away permanently. He will screw everyone and anyone over to make a buck.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Koldbloodedinc
scumbag

he sent me a "wholesale list with a bunch of single, odd aged animals, he saw one of my ads for pied ball pythons and offered me 85 bucks. i am pretty sure i still have the list, i also beleive the list to consist of another wholesalers EXACT wording/stock list. i never bought from him as i could tell he was trying to scam, let me know how i can be of help!!!

justin vogel
KBI

Old 04-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Glad you came aboard, definitely scum of the earth right there.... sorry you had the misfortune to even deal with this idiot. Maybe someone can send him on over to the level 9 forums( or whatever the heck theyre called), birds of a feather and all....

Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Koldbloodedinc
HERE IS A SAMPLE FROM "HIS LIST" i have the whole thing if its needed to verify what he has.
PRICES ARE LISTED IN THE FOLLOWING WAY
1 for $ each
6 for $ each
12 for $ each
25 for $ each

CROCODILIANS (Babies)

Smooth Front Caimans (P. Trigonatus) $135
Cuvier Dwarf Caimans (P. Palpebrosus) $135
Nile Crocodiles $375

BOAS

Albino Colombian 07 babies

Boa c. imperator

$650.00

Albino Colombian 3' male

Boa c. imperator

$900.00

Albino Kenya Sand adult

Eryx c. loveridgei

$125.00

mazon Tree

Corallus hortulanus

$18.00

Amazon Tree colored

Corallus hortulanus

$65.00

Black & White Kenya Sand babies

Eryx c. loveridgei

$50.00

Black Albino Kenya adults

$125.00

Brazilian Rainbow babies

Epicrates c. cenchria

$120.00

Colombian Rainbow babies

Epicrates c. maurus

$55.00

$50.00

Emerald Tree adults

Corallus caninus

$200.00

Green Anaconda 6'

Eunectes murinus

$90.00

Green Anaconda babies

Eunectes murinus

$70.00

$65.00

Guyana Rainbow

Epicrates c. maurus

$50.00

Guyana Red Tail 2' - 3'

Boa c. constrictor

$125.00

Guyana Red Tail 4' - 6'

Boa c. constrictor

$100.00

Guyana Red Tail babies

Boa c. constrictor

$125.00

Guyana Red Tail 7' - 8'

Boa c. constrictor

$150.00

Haitian 2' - 3'

Epicrates striatus

$100.00

Kenya Sand adults

Eryx c. loveridgei

$100.00

Pearl Island males only

Boa c. sabogae

$600.00

Surinam Red Tail 5'

Boa c. constrictor

$150.00

PYTHONS

Albino Granite Burmese babies

Python m. bivittatus

$375.00

Albino Labyrinth Burmese babies

Python m. bivittatus

$600.00

Albino Lavender Tiger Reticulated 3'

Python reticulatus

$795.00

Albino Reticulated 5' - 9'

Python reticulatus

$750.00

Albino T+ Red Blood baby females

Python curtus

$1,100.00

Albino T+ Red Blood baby males

Python curtus

$900.00

Albino T- Red Blood babies The Real Deal

Python curtus

$22,500.00

Angolan females

Python anchietae

$1,200.00

Borneo Blood 2'

Python curtus

$100.00

Calabar

Calabaria rheinhardti

$30.00

Carpet babies

Morelia spilota

$85.00

Children's adults

Antaresia childreni

$100.00

Granite Burmese 6'

Python m. bivittatus

$350.00

Granite Burmese small

Python m. bivittatus

$275.00

Green Tree adults

Morelia viridis

$375.00

Green Tree babies

Morelia viridis

$240.00

Macklot's babies

Liasis mackloti

$35.00

New Guinea Carpet adults

Morelia spilota

$150.00

Papuan 8'

Apodora papuana

$350.00

Red Blood 5' female

Python curtus

$250.00

Red Blood c.b. babies

Python curtus

$60.00

Reticulated babies

Python reticulatus

$50.00

$45.00

Savu adults

Liasis m. savuensis

$125.00

Spotted adults

Antaresia maculosa

$100.00

Tiger Reticulated 7'

Python reticulatus

$350.00

Woma

Aspidites ramsayi

$600.00

Woma 4' female

Aspidites ramsayi

$600.00

Frogs

African Reed

1/$5.00

6/$4.50

12/$4.00

25/$3.50

Albino Pacman babies

Ceratophrys cranwelli

$12.00

$10.00

$9.00

Albino Underwater adults

Xenopus

$5.00

$4.50

$4.00

$3.50

Asian Green Back

Rana erythraea

$4.50

$4.00

$3.50

$3.00

Chubby Frog

Kaoula pulchra

$4.50

$4.00

$3.50

$3.00

Cuban Tree

Osteopilus septentrionalis

$2.00

$1.75

$1.50

$1.25

Emerald Eye Tree

Hyla crepitans

$15.00

Fire Leg Running

Kassina maculosa

$6.00

$5.00

$4.50

Golden Tree

Polypedates leucomystax

$4.50

$4.00

$3.50

$3.00

Green Tree

Hyla cinerea

2.50 6/2.25 12/2.00 25/1.75 50/1.50 100/1.35

Gulf Coast Toad

Bufo valliceps

$3.50

$3.00

$2.50

Haitian Giant Tree

Hyla vasta

$12.50

$10.00

Leopard

Rana sp

4.00 6/3.50 12/3.00 25/2.75 50/2.50

Malayan Leaf

Megophrys nasuta

$20.00

$18.00

Malayan Leaf JUMBO females

Megophrys nasuta

$35.00

marbled Tree

Hyla marmorata

$15.00

Pacman

Ceratophrys cranwelli

$9.00

$8.00

$7.00

Pixie babies

Pyxyicephalus adspersus

$10.00

$9.00

Red Eye Tree Frog c.b. babies

Agalychnis callidryas

$12.00

$10.00

$9.00

Smokey Jungle

Leptodactylus pentadactylus

$35.00

$30.00

South American Clown Tree

Hyla leucophyllata

$17.50

$15.00

$12.50

South American Giant Glass Tree

Hyla amorphous

$15.00

Surinam Toad

Pipa pipa

$20.00

$18.00

$16.00

Old 05-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Dennis Hultman
A few links.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=104557

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=82339

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=92214

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=64368

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=62298

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=58294

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!