Bad Guy Beware of Casey Lauren Byiers (Rhasputin/EVLV/Eccentric Evolution) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
StinaUIUC
Thumbs down Beware of Casey Lauren Byiers (Rhasputin/EVLV/Eccentric Evolution)

Ok, this is more related to the pet/show rodent world, but I know that she is involved in the reptiles as well....so I want to tell as many people as possible about my experience with Casey.

A group of breeders in the US decided to go in on a shipment of mice from the UK. In the shipment asked for, and paid for, 2 abyssinian (a variety that was not available in the US at all) does and 1 buck (doe is female, buck is male for those who don't know mouse terms). I confirmed this multiple times with the organizer (to whom I am extremely grateful!). I have my pm records from the forum it was organized on to prove this. Casey claimed she asked for a buck and doe, but it is in the organizer's pm records (I've seen the screenshot) that she confirmed bucks only. I was not at the airport to pick up my animals (another friend was kind enough to pick them up for me and I met her on her way home to get them from her), and Casey decided to take a buck and doe, and left me with 2 bucks and 1 doe. So of course I want my doe....and Casey is claming she'd asked for a buck and doe all along, claiming she'd confirmed with the organizer multiple times she'd asked for a buck and doe, and said she probably didn't read the pm that confirmed 2 bucks... The organizer is saying she never asked for any does at all. So Casey is trying to keep my doe, said its all the organizer's mistake and her original "compromise" was that I could trade her back the buck AFTER she has a litter there... I offered to give her some offspring (no charge or anything) when she had them HERE, assuming I could get her before she had a litter. I have NO use for the 2nd buck...he is just sitting here taking up space...I am not outcrossing at all for at least a generation or 2, so he is pretty much completely useless to me (the other one has better rosettes)....I made no mistake at all, I just want my doe. I was told I was being selfish for wanting her, that she's not mine, and that I should just deal with it. I posted a thread on the forum on which the shipment was organized about the situation and Casey told me it was terrible idea to have done so....I hadn't spoken to her for a couple days...and decided I was going to drive to her house to try to reason with her to trade the mice.....this was Wednesday...so...it was a fun day. Some of the day was actually fun (we also used it as an excuse to visit family that leave in the same area she does)...and then there was the part where I tried to get my mouse. Randomly in the middle of the afternoon I recieved a text from Casey's cell number that she wanted to talk to me..I asked what she wanted and basically what was said was that if I had my thread removed from the other forum, THEN she would feel comfortable working with me to get me MY mouse.......admitting it was my mouse and trying to extort me into having the thread removed to get what already rightfully belongs to me. I told her I'd have to deal with it later....we happened to be on our way to her house, which she did not know. I did not tell her I was coming because I was honestly afraid she would euthanize the mouse before I had to chance to get there. So we showed up and the homeowners allowed us entry to their house and went to get Casey...she came in the room demanding to know how I had the right to show up at someone's house...telling me I had no right to be there...and demanding I leave. Since I know she does not have any ownership of the home, I told her the homeowner would have to ask me to leave. He asked me to look at the information I had about the mouse and then went to try to convince Casey to give her to me....he spent a while talking to her and she ultimately refused. So we told him to tell her we were going to call the cops...to which she still told him no, so we went down to the basement to talk to her ourselves and told her we were going to call the cops...to which she replied (and I'm paraphrasing) "go ahead, you won't be getting tis mouse today, the cops don't decide ownership so they won't do anything...I've been in this exact situation before." So we called the cops and the cop that responded spoke to her (while she continued to refuse and tell the cop it was up for debate as to who the mouse belongs to), but did say they can't do anything, we'd have to go to civil court. So rather than deal with any more bs we just left with the original buck...and I have no expectations of ever getting my doe.

I've been told by others of other situations involving Casey having animals that were supposed to belong to someone else as well as of animals being recieved from her that died or became sick shortly thereafter (some stories direct from the person who dealt with casey...but also some that I have heard second hand). I was not present for any of those situations, so I cannot tell exactly what happened...just that I know other people have claimed to have had issues with Casey as well.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC View Post

I've been told by others .
Name the others.

How expensive are these mice? (In terms of actually going to small claims court) Can the seller send another?
It sounds like this person felt the heat when you posted about the situation elsewhere. Do not have the thread removed there. Post more. Pour the heat on. Let her know about this thread.
Post here, and elsewhere, the original agreement pms you have of who was going to get what. Post the organizer's screenshot.
I'm hoping the pair you do have (you have one doe, right) will give you many beautiful litters.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
StinaUIUC
I'm not comfortable posting other people's names that were not involved directly in THIS situation...if they want to come forward and post, that is their business. That is why I simply said I wasn't there for their issues, just that I've been told of some and didn't state any specifics. I can delete that part if necessary.

As far as my situation....the shipping alone for mice from the UK is a LOT....this shipment was about 40 animals and the shipping split between them all was $50 per animal. There's no way I can get another animal from the original breeder. Court is likely not worth it.

I will also ask the organizer of the shipment if she is ok with me sharing her name...she has been nothing but helpful. I will also post up some screen shots as soon as I can!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
StinaUIUC
Oh I forgot you can't edit on here...If that part needs to be removed, please do...It is other people in the mouse community...I will ask a couple of them to come post here if they are comfortable doing so.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
StinaUIUC
Ok, some screen shots....

Here is where we figured out what happened and how casey got the doe...

maggietomemistakediscovered by CSBeck, on Flickr

Message sent to myself and Casey about how the mouse is supposed to be mine...

5-21-2012 maggietocaseymepmgivestinadoe by CSBeck, on Flickr

Screenshot from the organizer where she was confirming with Casey that she'd asked for bucks...

I will try to get the text message records between myself and Casey's phone (where I was told I could have MY doe IF I had the thread from the other forum deleted) to post as well

Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Willow
Can't be deleted or edited by anyone, but try to avoid using other's comments or opinions if you wont name them =) 3rd party anonymous quotes are not allowed.

otherwise...lame situation you're in = /

Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
StinaUIUC
Ok, I apologize! I haven't use Fauna in a while... My bad!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Hypancistrus
This is Tara Simmons and Lauren Kuta of Mason Dixon Reptiles. We were there the night she stole the female mouse and we are the people mention who had a sick mouse sold to me and die shortly afterwards. I am currently at the orioles game, but will post the full story tonight.
As for value of the stolen mouse.. its beyond fifty dollars being only 1 of 2 females of yhis variety in the entire country. She would be about 2500 bucks to replace so that is her value.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Hypancistrus
This is Tara Simmons and Lauren Kuta of Mason Dixon Reptiles. We were there the night she stole the female mouse and we are the people mention who had a sick mouse sold to me and die shortly afterwards. I am currently at the orioles game, but will post the full story tonight.
As for value of the stolen mouse.. its beyond fifty dollars being only 1 of 2 females of yhis variety in the entire country. She would be about 2500 bucks to replace so that is her value.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
garryhofer
Why do you think Casey would have ordered only bucks? If this species isn't available in the US, what good would two males do?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!