Ferret Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
deviljho
Ferret Questions

I've been looking for ages to get a ferret, I just love them. Only problem is I live in california. So I decided when I move out to something like an apartment out of state (California is way to expensive) and a ferret is on the top of my list. Are there any good breeders I should be aware of? Also how available are Silver Fur ferrets?

I'd also love to hear stories of your little goofballs and pictures are always fawned over.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
reptilebaby
Ferrets are awesome pets, that it is very hard to find good breeders for. I was on the hunt for a breeder and found one that i thought would be good. She ended up being a horrible breeder, because due to bad weather and problems making out schedules line up she never sent my ferret, and even resold him. without refunding the money.

All 4 of my current ferrets are pet store ferrets, and all are healthy. the thing with most pet stores, they can't tell you the exact color of your ferret, but then it doesnt matter really. a ferrets color will get lighter or darker as it ages, and markings change too.

Most apartments don't allow ferrets because most people think ferrets stink horribly. If you find one that does, you are very lucky. I wish you luck in that Ferrets do have musk glads, above their eyes, so they will always have a slight smell, though if you practice proper hygiene and proper nutrition the smell is much less. My own babies smell like their wood shaving bedding even though my mother hates them, and says they stink. Cages should have a full deep clean every week, and bars wiped down. cage furniture needs to be washed as well as their toys.

They CAN be litter trained but you cant use cat litter. they can inhale it and will get sick. My own ferrets have gotten respiratory infections, so i had to change from my previous bedding. They WILL burrow into their bedding so be careful of their eyes and noses. I've had my share of learning what is good for them and what isn't lol. One of mine is a persistent cage bar chewer. Discipline for a ferret can be difficult..only safe way is to scruff them. that doesnt mean pick them up and shake them XD Scruffing you just grab the skin at the nape of the neck and give them a quick shake, without lifting them up. nipping, biting, chewing things they shouldnt you can and should thump their noses as soon as they do it.

sorry rambling. lol

Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
deviljho
No worries! Thank you for your insight!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #4
CricketChitin
Did you ever find an apartment that allows ferrets? We had a ferret growing up, and although it was an interesting pet, it definitely did smell. and it would go to the bathroom everywhere but the litter pan. I've heard some successful ferret stories, but mine experience was far from successful.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!