Would it be alright... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #11
iasc300
Chris take apicture of it and put it on here

Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #12
Seamus Haley
There are additional issues... disease and parasite transmission from captive raised mice to the local wild population...

And the concept of a species regulating its own population based on limitations. If he isn't getting enough food then there either isn't enough food locally- and by keeping him half-fed you'd be keeping a predator alive where there is no prey... or he's for whatever reason unable to obtain it on his own, meaning he's weak. Be it an illness he was succesptible to, an injury of some kind or just an ectotherm coming off a tough winter; the breeding population depends on only successful animals being successful. Feeding a dud creates a population of duds.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Chris Steele
Thanks Seamus. I will next time I see it if I do Ryan.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
kmurphy
Chris, if you've got an extra 10 gallon tank you could probably keep it in the shed. That's were it lives anyway. If I was going to keep it alive I would take out of the wild population.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #15
Chris Steele
Well I might do that if I see it again, if so I'll get pics too, thanks for the idea Kevin.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #16
ChuckHurd
i can't think of a way you could offer it food. being wild, its probably not going to take pre-killed. perhaps set up a bird feeder near the shed he lives in. that will attrack birds and mice...then nature will take its course.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!