Pennsylvania state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
cka
Pennsylvania state law issues

They govern the rules and regulations concerning herps in PA...Well, it's a start....click on Q and A to jump to a page with a reptiles and amphibians link PA Fish and Boat Commission

Old 07-20-2003, 02:19 AM   #2
Adamanteus
more BS

I often attend a small bimonthly show as a vendor in PA . I am now being told by the show directors that every vendor needs a license to sell any exotics in the state. And bills of health on all animals. All the info I have so far is the license fee is 50 annually. I plan on calling PA game commission Monday morning. just wondering if anyone else has heard anything like this ?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
Adamanteus
Pennsylvania State Links

State Homepage - http://www.state.pa.us/

State Legislature - http://www.legis.state.pa.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.pacode.com/

Old 07-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Traci1
I have never been a vendor before, but I found the below info located at
http://sites.state.pa.us/Fish/faqampr.htm

I want to sell reptiles and amphibians. Do I need permit from the Fish and Boat Commission?

There are no permits issued by the Fish and Boat Commission for selling reptiles and amphibians. Our regulations require that with the exception of common snapping turtles, no reptile or amphibian may be taken from the wild in PA for sale, trade or barter. Also, it unlawful to possess, import or export species listed as endangered or threatened by the Fish and Boat Commission. For species not taken from the wild but which may occur in PA, a dealer or purchaser would need to obtain and maintain the proper documentation to show that the origin of an animal was from a legal source and not taken from the wild.

AND

I would like to purchase/sell/possess a venomous exotic snake. Do I need a permit to possess such an animal?

PA Fish and Boat Commission regulations only pertain to native species of PA. In other words our regulations do not cover any species not found in PA. Therefore, you would not need a permit from our agency. However, you may want to contact you local municipal government to see if they have any ordinances in effect that regulate the possession of “dangerous animals” or exotic pets. Due to some recent high-profile cases in the news of non-native snake bites and snakes getting loose in neighborhoods additional municipalities are adding such laws.

Old 07-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Adamanteus
USDA permit NOT thru PA game commision

The license needed to transport or sell any exotic captive animals in PA, is a Domestic animals dealers and haulers license(there definition of "Domestic" is ANY captive animal) it is a annual fee of 50 dollars . If you produce your own animals and can prove such, you are exempt this only applys to dealers and brokers buying and selling. Also PA requires a Vet. bill of health inspection for each animal entering the state. If anyone has any questions they can contact the USDA licenseing office at (717)-783-9550 dont forget that all native animals require a license and paperwork also.

Old 07-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #6
Adamanteus
here is a link to the application http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/a...lth/aai-38.pdf

Old 07-26-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
Adamanteus
The Domestic Animal Act

go here and clik on, Act 100 of 1996 -- The Domestic Animal Act
to download the laws that apply.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/a...animal_law.doc

I wonder how many other states have similar laws?
I'm told ohio does but i havent found it in print yet.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:46 PM   #8
cka
little FYI

this is a copy of the email from a PFBC biologist in regards to the keeping and breeding of non native species also found in PA

July 28, 2003

Dear Chris:

Your question was forwarded to me; I am a biologist in the Natural
Diversity Section of the Fish and Boat Commission and we deal with
questions
and issues pertaining to reptiles and amphibians. I will briefly
summarize
the regulations for your interest of breeding or selling reptiles and
amphibians.

There are no permits issued by the Fish and Boat Commission for
breeding or selling reptiles and amphibians. Our regulations require that
with the exception of common snapping turtles, no reptile or amphibian may
be taken from the wild in Pennsylvania for sale, trade, or barter. Also,
it
is unlawful to possess, import, or export species listed as endangered or
threatened by the Fish and Boat Commission. The limit of two individuals
applies only to snakes that are captured from the wild in Pennsylvania.
For
species not taken from the wild but which may occur in PA, a dealer or
purchaser would need to obtain and maintain the proper documentation to
show
that the origin of an animal was from a legal source and not taken from
the
wild. A bill of sale or receipt would be an example of the proper
documentation. Another suggestion for documentation would be to keep a
thorough record of your breeding of these snakes: photographs, and a
journal
of the number of young hatched and what you do with them.

Sincerely,

Katharine L. Derge
Herpetologist/Assistant Nongame Biologist
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
Division of Environmental Services
Natural Diversity Section
450 Robinson Lane
Bellefonte, PA 16823

Amanteus...I have this persons email if you'd like to send some of your questions to them...email me angnchris@earthlink.net if interested...peace, Chris

Old 07-28-2003, 08:22 PM   #9
Adamanteus
The Domestic Animal Act

Thank you Chris, Im aware of the laws pertaining to native herps .I'm also aware that Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission does NOT regulate the possession,breeding and sale of NON native herps. Just to make it clear the laws I was referring to are administered and enforced by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Animal Health & Diagnostic Services http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/a...te/default.asp

Old 09-27-2003, 06:57 PM   #10
johnmp
Health certificates for Hamburg??

Anyone have any info on the requirement for health certificates for individual animals being brought into PA.? Does each animal have to have a health certificate or can we "batch certify them?

Thanks,
John Phillips

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!