West Virginia state law issues - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #31
deedeeiam
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
so if you're in WV or know anyone who is, please keep calling.
People outside our state have a vested interest in this bill. We're in this position because of Ohio. Law like this is dangerous to us as hobbyists. So...people don't need an actual connection to WV. You think HSUS and bornfree are only fighting with people inside our state's borders?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #32
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeiam View Post
People outside our state have a vested interest in this bill. We're in this position because of Ohio. Law like this is dangerous to us as hobbyists. So...people don't need an actual connection to WV. You think HSUS and bornfree are only fighting with people inside our state's borders?
I'm not saying that they don't. I'm saying that for the counts for/against the bill that the governor's office is using over the next few days, they're looking specifically at comments from inside the state and dismissing those from outside.

To put it another way, our governor has aspirations for higher office and is trying to see which way the wind blows with this bill so as to tick off the least number of voters..

Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #33
zooherper
The governor signed it into law today. Thank you to all who helped. I suggest we petition the DNR to help amend the list to work better for us.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #34
deedeeiam
When I finally got around to reading the approved Budget Bill, it was obvious it was going to pass. I really dislike HSUS and all their little sub-agencies.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
bcr229
As soon as we heard the news we put word on our company facebook pages that we would be relocating, taking jobs and tax money with us. Apparently We're not the only non-herp/animal small businesses pulling up stakes either. We had been looking at buying a larger commercial facility and expanding locally... not going to happen now.

Two delegates have already called asking how this could be fixed so we would stay... they were told to repeal the law.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #36
AbsoluteApril
wow that's horrible! I hope they repeal >_< Not just bad for WV but for all herp keepers if other states start to mirror the same thing.

side-bar on the insurance, yeah most typical insurance will not cover reptiles and may decline, revoke existing coverage if they find out you keep, the only insurance I'd found that could be used to cover was through Lloyds of London as 'livestock', further discussion from prior threads here:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=69468

Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #37
bcr229
There is a public meeting on 4/12/14 in Flatwoods, WV about the new law. Not sure if it's just for educational reasons or to select the appointees to the board, or both. We're coordinating car-pools from the eastern panhandle region since that's a 4-5 hour drive from us. Drop me a PM if you want to go.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #38
deedeeiam
Hah! I just now connected your last name. I didn't realize you guys were all the way out there. Geezus, that's a bit of a trek.

Our family farm is near Flatwoods, so I'm up that direction every weekend. I thought about offering to broadcast it to Google Hangouts or something, so people could listen in if they couldn't travel. Don't know how well-received that would be though.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #39
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeiam View Post
Hah! I just now connected your last name. I didn't realize you guys were all the way out there. Geezus, that's a bit of a trek.

Our family farm is near Flatwoods, so I'm up that direction every weekend. I thought about offering to broadcast it to Google Hangouts or something, so people could listen in if they couldn't travel. Don't know how well-received that would be though.
Don't bother. What was described to me initially as a public meeting/info session about the new law has turned out to really be a PETA-phile convention that requires pre-registration and a $65 entry fee to attend.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #40
deedeeiam
Ah...the Animal Convention. Yeah, I'm not sure that's the correct venue for anything productive. Although...it's tempting to cause drama on that one panel with Staats and Bruner.

I'm meeting with my personal lawyer and some state, ACLU representatives next week. I want to discuss if this could fall under their mission to protect personal property, see what legal options might be available for repeal, etc.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!