Recent Photography - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Recent Photography

this past week myself and 2 friends went up to Snake Road. I dont consider myself an avid field herper and thus the reason these arent posted there.

anyhow... I just wanted to show off some of my photography. I have lots more to process... but this is what is done so far.

Yellow-bellied water snake

Toad

Timber Rattler

Western Ribbon

Leopard Frog

Green Treefrog

Cottonmouth

Another Cotton (this photo was NOT cropped.... I dont advise getting this close)

More to come as I get them processed. Thanks for looking.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
shrap
Great pics!!

You photography people suck by the way. Only because I suck at photography.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Cat_72
Kevin, those are BEAUTIFUL pictures!!!

I was thinking, "Wow, it looks like he's awful close to that timber rattler"....then I saw the cottonmouth pics. Holy crap, LOL.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
johns6068
Very Nice I love the close-ups

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
pcrooker
AMAZING pics!!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72 View Post
Kevin, those are BEAUTIFUL pictures!!!

I was thinking, "Wow, it looks like he's awful close to that timber rattler"....then I saw the cottonmouth pics. Holy crap, LOL.
I WAS aweful close to those animals. All Images were with a Tamron 28/300mm lens. None of the photos have been cropped and are as shot.

The close up of the Cotton was at 240mm
The close up of the Yellow-belly was at 300mm
The Timber shot was at 300mm

Below is a shot showing how close I was to the Yellow-belly at 300mm

WARNING -- Please do not try this... I have been trained by a mentor to work with Venomous.

To give you some ideas of how close.

This was when I shot the Yellow-bellied water snake

My buddy did get a shot of me shoting down the throat of the cotton...however he had it on autofocus.. and it didnt focus on me (or the snake for that matter)...so I declined the photo... The distance from lens to fang would scare most folks.

Once again... Please dont try this.... I have been trained by someone with 10+ years dealing with venomous. I myself have been working with them for a couple of years now.

The same Timber

only in the above photo Im not laying down on my stomach to get the shot. And for the record.... If I didnt have someone there I trust to keep me safe... I would not have laid down to get the shot. My buddy (the one that took the pics) was to the side and between me and the Timber... ready to intervien if needed. And did once. That is why I dont have a shot of me shooting the Timber. He already had a job.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
LauraB
Absolutely gorgeous, Kevin! I'm so totally jealous! Last time I went ground level to shoot a big, heavy gray rat (snake), I ended up with 4 sets of puncture wounds in my hand and wrist. And I never did get a decent shot. LOL ... chalk one up for the snake!

Old 10-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Southern Wolf
I normally shoot a few standing up... then try to get a few kneeling (sp?) down... then I go down to ground level. That way I should have at least something to show.

There have been times when all I could get is a few standing then it darted into the underbrush or something... never to be seen again.

Personally I love to take the close up portraits.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!