anyone have a good yellow ackie care sheet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
mikepanzarella
anyone have a good yellow ackie care sheet

im looking for a good yellow ackie care sheet and also if possible some photos of the sets up

Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
hadenglock
go to www.proexotics.com best advice ive ever gotten from them about ackies (and monitors in general) keep em hot and feed em a lot!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
mikepanzarella
yes I found that and its helped alot
one of the problems im having is a humidity rise when the lights go on in the morning
should i be keeping the lights on 24/7
normal is 55-60% but when the lights go on it goes up to in the 80s the cage has very few vents (4ft neodeshu) i open the cage and let it drop by down but this takes a few attempts and about 20 mins
i am going to change the substrate to the mix they use on that site but the mulch is what i have for now
the basking spot gets 130-140 with the surrounding area ranges from 95-120 (used temp gun) thats the top basking area the mid tank ranges 80-90s and cool side is high 70s-80s
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
suzuki4life
humidity is fine, basking temo is a bit low. ackies like super hot.

the mulch will result in splinters...splinters are super bad.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
mikepanzarella
we changed it to eco earth its easy to burrow with and holds moisture well
the basking spot ill try to raise we use a 45watt flood lamp and its around 6 inches from the spot
i have them on the same light cycle as my bearded dragons 12-13 hours on 11-12 off is this a good cycle or should i increase it to 14 or just leave the lights on 24/7

Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
suzuki4life
I ran mine around the clock and they stil bred for me.

The sand dirt mix is better than eco earth. Eco earth will develop mold in many instances.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
mikepanzarella
good to know it develops mold i have plenty of sand to mix in
i was going to use the decompressed granite but it would cost over $200 to fill the tank the only place ive found it so far was $15 per 4lb bag
i always have eco earth we use it for our frog tanks,dragon lay boxes,cricket lay boxes,and just about anywhere we need a soft burrowable media that holds moisture

on a side note the female seems to love it shes dug up most of the tank lol

Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
suzuki4life
burrowing means your temps are in a good range. If they stop digging, your cage is too cold.

The best dirt I found came from an outside area around pine trees. Soil seemed very heavy in sand but not as course as playsand. I wouldn't focus on the term "holds moisture" as much as it being able to hold a burrow. Once you get something that holds a burrow, then cover everything in leaf litter and spray the cage down with water. Your humidity will come with the setup, no worries.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
mikepanzarella
I made the deepest parts around the branches to hold the burrows better my only real worry now seems to be the humidity it runs in the high 60s and will spike up to 90 when it cools down but I guess keepin the light on 24/7 will stop that

Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
mikepanzarella
well they must like the new set up that have been burrowing alot and saw the mating
im keeping the light on 24/7 and the humidity around 60% im going to mist the tank once a week to keep things moist
with them i soak them once a week and small misting every other day
now i got them as a breeding pair as far as i know they have been together for a few months the female was on the cool side burrow digging around most of today (1st time she was there this long) could this be an egg thing or a problem with the enclosure(temps,humidity)
thanks so much you have been a ton of help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!