Inbreeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
whiskersmom
Inbreeding

Lately there's been quite alot of discussion regarding inbreeding bearded dragons in order to create what some people think are a desirable trait. I think this is wrong but would like to know what others think.
Let me put it this way...do you think that it's worth the risk of genetic related problems (even years down the line) to breed related dragons?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Tere Salazar
No, I absolutely do NOT agree with inbreeding, for any reason. I am now aware that a lot of our dragons were inbred to create higher color, but am pretty sure that had I been aware that's what it took, I probably would not have purchased them. Hindsight is always 20-20, you know?

I am of the personal belief that the already close relation in bloodlines of dragons in the U.S. is what has caused some of the issues that dragons have now, and certainly don't think we need to intentionally do something to increase those issues.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
whiskersmom
Quote:
I am now aware that a lot of our dragons were inbred to create higher color, but am pretty sure that had I been aware that's what it took, I probably would not have purchased them.
I think that people believe that just because we once practiced this, that we can continue to do this. But the way I see it is at one time we all thought Asbestos was ok....we know better now, don't we?

I've read on other forums some people believe that inbreeding in dogs and cats to get a certain trait is fine, therefore it should be ok with reptiles, and I'm wondering how others feel about this?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
I've read on other forums some people believe that inbreeding in dogs and cats to get a certain trait is fine, therefore it should be ok with reptiles, and I'm wondering how others feel about this?
here kitty, kitty, kitty....my kitties are het for human..pretty kitty !!!
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
So, does that mean you are for it or against it?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Tere Salazar
OMG, Jean. Those are great!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
mikey
Just doing my part to lighten the mood around here..and give everyone a good friday chuckle !

Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
Denisebme
Quote:
Lately there's been quite alot of discussion regarding inbreeding bearded dragons in order to create what some people think are a desirable trait. I think this is wrong but would like to know what others think.
Let me put it this way...do you think that it's worth the risk of genetic related problems (even years down the line) to breed related dragons?
I am not a fan of inbreeding for any reason. That said, there are ways of breeding that make this a safer practice, but you have to do plenty of outbreeding to strengthen the lines if you want to avoid serious issues.
To hit on color. A lot of the reds and oranges we see today were not necessarily created by inbreeding. There are places in Australia where it isn't abnormal to see a naturally orange beardie. Evolution is a wonderful thing, and reptiles are great at adapting to their environs. If you have red soil, you'll get a redder dragon. Lighter soil, a lighter dragon. Dark rocky terrain, a darker skinned dragon. In the wild, they will adopt traits that help them blend in, and in the game of survival, reptiles are amazing.
I am far from convinced that some of the breeding we have seen is for the betterment of the species. Breeding for color when you have the opportunity to check bloodlines is one thing, breeding deformed animals is something else entirely. Reading the stories on how some of the current lines were created, and reading about curly tails and crooked spines, and just sick, deformed animals just makes me ill.
In the case of the current morph, it doesn't matter who the breeder is or what they sell for, it doesn't matter to me how ugly or curious people think they are. The one concern I have is that this animal seems to be missing a couple critical layers of its hide, and we have no clue what that really means for the animal itself. Personally, I think that beardies are beautiful just the way nature intended them to be, and I think that they have all their scales and spikes for a reason. They need them in the wild, and they need them in captivity if they are going to breed OR be housed with another beardie because all natural stuff is what protects them from aggressive mates and nips and bites.
What was that line from that old commercial? "Its not nice to fool with mother nature"

Old 06-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
mikey
Quote:
So, does that mean you are for it or against it?
I will answer in a litttle more detail later, but right now I have got to separate my feeder roaches, because I just know there must be inbreeding going on in them there bins...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread