My First Beardie - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #21
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Good the basking light is a 100 watt, that should get the temps where they need to be.
However, the reptiglo 2 is definitely not strong enough in the UVB department. I would get either the reptiglo 8 or the reptiglo 10 (which is untested, but is ok) Just keep them at 8 inches from your dragon. Can you take the reptiglo 2 back & exchange it for the 8 if they have it?
If they don't have that at the store, you will need to order it online. They are cheaper that way anyway. Try www.reptilesupply.com to find the reptiglo UVB. You might be able to find a screen to fit your tank there too.
Great he is eating so many crickets. I am sure that he will love the phoenix worms, too. I hope he is doing well right now.
Talk soon. :-))

Tracie

Old 08-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
harmonysmom
No, they don't carry any other brand that I saw. I'm hoping between being outside for a 1/2 hour to an hour a day will help make up for what's lacking in the light until I can afford to spend more. I've already gone through $300 with him and am flat broke now.

I'm hoping he likes the phoenix worms. Still trying to get him to eat his greens. Cleaned out his cage today while he sat atop my daughters head.....they both seemed to really like that.

Tomorrow he'll be taking a trip with me to pick up the stand for his tank that a friend welded for me. Can't wait, it'll make cleaning and feeding WAY easier. I won't have to bend over no more. And hopefully with that, he won't be bothered by any vibrations from the floor and what not when all the kids come in to play.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #23
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Sorry, I know things have been expensive. Try to get him outside daily, at least 30+ minutes to make up for the lack of the UVB strength. That should do for awhile.
Great a tank stand will help out alot. Plus, he will have a better view! LOL He will be able to see more going on around him.
I hope he likes the phoenix worms, but most tend to love them. I hope you get them soon!

Tracie

Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
harmonysmom
It's no problem at all getting him outside for 30+ mins. a day. My daughter goes out every day and her friends LOVE to see him outside. I think he likes the attention too.

I think he's finally eating his greens. I had a bunch of worms in there, and emptied it out this morning, and there were only 4 worms. I can't remember how many greens were in there, but it seems like it was lower than what I started with.

Thanks again for all the help. I can't believe there was so much I missed in all my research. *sighs*

Old 08-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #25
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

No problem, I hope I have helped out! You know, there is alot of different opinions & alot of them are not right or are extremely outdated, so don't feel bad! At least you came for help, that is what matters.
Oh I am quite sure that he is enjoying every minute of attention from everyone while being outside!!
Great he is eating some greens, that is a start for sure. Some wont eat them no matter what you do! Consider yourself lucky if he starts eating them.
Let me know how he is doing. It sounds like he is in great hands. :-))

Tracie

Old 08-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #26
harmonysmom
Well, he didn't eat his greens. Turns out he digs the worms out THEN eats them. What a spoiled thing, I'm telling you. I took him on a short ride today to the town next door. He was loving it. Then we stopped at a yard sale and I walked around with him on my shoulders so he could sun. He seemed to really like that. His typical orange, was almost red when we got back in the car. I'm not sure if it's because of the sun, or all the attention he was getting. lol

We got his stand today. His tank now sits about 6-8 inches off the ground. High enough so the vibrations on the floor don't bother him, but low enough we can still sit down and watch him.

His food escaped today. So we've got crickets roaming around the apartment. Hubby went and got him more, comes home, and asks "Do you realize how big he's going to get?"

Apparently at the bait shop, they had a 3 year old bearded dragon. I told him yes I knew and he just looked at me like I was nuts. haha

Yes you have helped me LOADS. Between you, and this dragon breeder I just started talking to, I've learned a lot more.

I think when he gets bigger I'm going to try him on the hissing roaches. I readthey are supposed to be really good for him.

I will keep you posted on how he does though. Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #27
outsdr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysmom
Also, do you know of a good exotic pet health insurance to go through? I want to make sure I have something for him just in case. But can only find ones that'll cover minor things not major.
Hi Amber, it sound like Harmony is going to have a great life.

Here is the only lizard health insurance that I could find that is available.

http://www.petinsurance.com/coverage...39DA3312E0C695

Jack

Old 08-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #28
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Yeah, that was the only one I could come up with too, but figured most people knew about it. I am not sure that there is an exotic only pet insurance. I am still looking, but haven't found anything yet.
It sounds like Harmony is already spoiled by all of the attention on his outings now!! LOL Great he had such a good time.
So he just digs the worms out of his greens. I am really not surprised, alot of them do that same exact thing!! Maybe he will eventually eat his greens. His crickets escaped so your hubby had to get more! Hopefully you will find them or you will hear them eventually. The roaches are very good for them alot of people do use roaches, either the dubia's or the lobsters.
I bet he enjoys looking out of his tank now, with a good view up off of the ground now.
I hope he is doing well. Talk soon. :-))

Tracie

Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #29
harmonysmom
His name is Tobias...lol...Harmony is my 2 year old daughter. :P

But yes, he loves his outings and the attention. I have a family reunion coming up soon that he'll be going to. Lots of shade if he gets too hot, and good sunny patches.

I knew there wasn't any exotic pet only insurance, I was just trying to find one that covered more than just minor things.

The crickets, nowhere to be found, and they aren't chirping at night either. So they will probably just die off if they haven't found their way outside already.

He still stays up on his leaves most of the time. I think I made him mad last night though. I went to make sure Harmony was covered up, and then went to check on him, he had himself wedged between the screen and the top of his wall, looked so uncomfortable, so I moved him to the leaf he normally sleeps on. He just kind of looked at me like "I can't believe you just woke me up"

So it's normal he's digging out his worms, that's good to know. He took a snip at some clover the other day. My husband and Harmony held it in front of him and he took 2 or 3 teeny bites of it. So I'll be going to my grandpa's to get him some more along with some dandelions in hopes that he'll eat those opposed to the collards.

Thanks for the link for the pet insurance Jack! Will check it out tonight.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #30
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

LOL Sorry! I got the names wrong! Oh both names are cute. Tobias is great for your dragon's name.
Oh is he going to have a blast at the family reunion. Do you have a mesh carrier for him so nothing gets him? Just watch out for the fireflys, if you are in an area that has them. He will love all of the attention.
True, if the crickets don't find food or water, they will eventually die. If they didn't have any wings, then, they wont make noise. I guess the ones you feed are small though so they wont have any wings. Those are the mature adult ones that get wings.
Alot of dragons tend to love dandelions & clovers, so, that is fine. Just make sure there haven't been any chemicals used on them, & that is no problem there. Yes, they all figure a way to get those worms out of their greens without getting any greens. We can hope he gradually gets a few mouthfulls to get the worms.
So you woke him up huh? Poor baby! LOL He is small if he can sleep on a leaf! LOL

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!