My First Beardie - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #51
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

That is frustrating about getting the correct crickets!! Did you hear anything today at all from that guy? Or, did you have to go to the petstore to pick something else up? What a pain in the butt.
Well, why did the dragon have a bump on his neck? I highly doubt that the 3 year old dragon is extremely healthy. Can he walk upright? I would be very surprised if he doesn't have weak bones though. Sometimes it is hard to tell just by looking at them. Why would they not want to provide the basics to him though, that isn't right.
Chances are that he had UVB prior to their care. How long have they had him for? He will eventually succomb to health problems being kept in that manner though. They will not last long without UVB. They thrive in the wild in sun so my argument for good lighting is always why deprive them of what their native habitat provides for them?

Tracie

Old 08-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #52
harmonysmom
He stood upright, I didn't see him walking since he was basking. I don't know why he had the bump on his throat, he was born with it. The guy has had him since he was 6 weeks old.

A school teacher had a beardie that got pregnant and he was going to give students who wanted them, a dragon each to take home, but the school year had ended before they were hatched. So the guy at the bait shop took all of them and sold all but the one because of his "deformation" I guess I could say.

I eventually got the crickets I ordered, along with an extra 1K of them, so now I have about 1.5 K crickets in a 10 gallon aquarium. It works, for now. I got to figure out how to clean it though.

Toby is gaining weight. At least, I think he is. I have a postal scale I'll eventually put him on, just haven't gotten around to it. But just from picking him up, you can tell he's put on a bit. still won't eat his veggies though. Oh well.

He finally got out after 2 weeks the other day. I kept him out for 2 hours before it got too hot to take the kids out (was babysitting)

Then I let him run around the apartment for a bit. He didn't feel much like running though. He went to this spot between my t.v. stand and a bookcase, under a table where I keep a 4 picture frame holder and he plasters himself up against one of the 2 front pictures. Don't know why he does that, but he goes there every chance he gets. I guess since it's dark and it's away from the activity that is not under there with him?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #53
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Great that Toby seems to be doing better now! I am glad to hear you got your crickets ordered, finally! The store never got them in? You should definitely keep track of his weight just so you know how much he weighs.
Hm, a 10 gallon & you have over 1000 crickets in there? You might want to get a larger bin, like a large plastic storage bin which are tall with the folding lids on top, but the lids are attached. You know which ones I am talking about? You can get them from walmart. I am not sure what the gallons size are, maybe 18 or 20. They are really nice to keep crickets in though. If they are too crowded, they will die off. So you might want to consider that. Make sure you have plenty of paper towel rolls, & egg carton crates (the paper kind) for them to climb & hide on.
Great he got 2 hours of sunlight! I bet he enjoyed that, before it got too hot for him anyway.
They have the tendency to try & find places to hide or play in. They love going under things, so you really have to watch them when they are out roaming around. He is just chilling out. No worries, just having fun. I think that they do things like that just for our entertainment. LOL
I still don't see how that poor dragon in the store is surviving without proper care, that is very sad.
Glad to hear he is doing better now.

Tracie

Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #54
harmonysmom
I weighed him today and it came out 0.5 ounces...which would be.....*does math* around 14 grams...that seems a bit small to me....is it?

He got to go outside again today. This time I let him roam around in the grass instead of being in his container which he's starting to get too tall for.

He's gone through most of the crickets now....and I'm fixing to let some loose outside when I go to clean out the tank they are in..so I'm not too worried yet. I do have a plastic container though just in case.

Got a couple new photos of him. The first one is of him on a vine we have growing around our ceiling and walls...it's half way around now, and the second one was from him outside today.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #55
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

How old is he again? Well, 14 grams isn't too bad. How long is he again?
He should be getting the opportunity to have feeders 2-3 times a day, well, at least 2 anyway.
When were you upgrading your UVB light? Great you have been able to take him outside though because that really helps alot!
I think he looks fine, no problems. Don't worry, he should start to take off soon. Toby looks very cute & alert as well.

Tracie

Old 08-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #56
harmonysmom
I have no idea how old he is....I bought him from PetSmart...all I know is he is a Juvenile....I will measure him next time I have him out though. Is there any way to tell how old they are just by looking?

The light will have to wait until around November or December to be upgraded....but until then, he's been getting his outside time. Since it's cooled off a tad bit, I've been able to keep him out longer than a half hour.

He gets fed 3 times a day if you don't include the veggies. On occasion it's twice a day.

He's def. alert. He was hunting some bug outside from across the yard. I was letting him roam out of his container (as the picture above shows) and he took off real quick. What's the speed of a bearded dragon? I was afraid he had crawled into a hole. But once I got to where he was, he had flattened himself into the grass, and I picked him up. That's when I saw the bug he was tracking. I couldn't believe it! Haha! I took him back inside after that though. Didn't want him to get a bug that could possibly be bad for him or to actually go into a rabbit/snake/mouse hole. *shudders at the though of snakes*

Are bell peppers ok to feed to him? Somebody told me to try those to see if he would eat them since he hadn't been eating his greens.

I was able to get him to eat one piece of his greens from my hand yesterday, but he wanted nothing to do with them after that. Will try again soon.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #57
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Well, it is somewhat hard to tell how old they are. You can kind of tell by the way that they shed, as babies have softer skin & tend to shed in whole body phases. Whereas adults, they have a little tougher skin & shed more in patches instead. Also, the heads start to mature more & widen too as they get older. The bulges on top of their head & above their eyes change in shape as well.
That is hilarious he went chasing after a bug! I think the fastest bearded dragon was clocked at 100mph so watch out! LOL No, just kidding, but, they are very fast. Do you have hawks or large predatory birds in your area? If so, watch for them because they will dive at them. He will take off for cover if he sees one too.
Bell peppers are fine for them. No problem, you can use red or green, or the other colors too. It is challenging to get them to eat their greens!
That is fine, the light can wait since he is getting sunlight daily & calcium he will be ok until then.
It sounds like he is doing awesome though, great job with him.

Tracie

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #58
harmonysmom
Yeah we have hawks but I keep a very good eye out on the sky, plus I don't leave his side if I can help it. When I do have to leave his side, I make sure the kids stay by him. So he's never alone.

He's shed twice now since I've had him....his orange/red colors are starting to go away... Is there anything I can feed him that might bring those back out? I know that most do lose their colors and markings as they get older, but I'd love to keep that orange/red stripes on his head.

I will pick him up some bell peppers next time I go to the store then. I hope that it helps him. Might try some other squash type food. Whatever he doesn't eat before it goes bad, I'll feed to his crickets...haha

I can't believe he was able to see a bug from that far away. I'm not kidding when I said we were all the way across the other side of the yard when he took off after it! Very impressed with his actions!

His head shape has changed a bit, he's starting to grow more under the neck, that was how I was able to tell he was gaining weight before I picked him up or weighed him. I'll measure him tomorrow for sure since I'll have time to do so and will post that when I'm done.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #59
harmonysmom
Hi, I measured him today, and the longest i got was 8 inches. Tip of nose to tip of tail, or at least the closest to each I could get.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #60
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Great, he is growing isn't he? That is awesome!
Yeah those hawks are sneaky aren't they? Plus they are fast, too.
Well, his colors may come back with other sheds, possibly. If you want to help bring out colors, mercury vapor bulbs are the very best, other than the sunlight. Regular flourescent lights are not strong enough really, to bring out their best colors.
Maybe he will like the bell peppers, what a picky boy he is! LOL Hopefully you will find something that he likes.
The head will fill out very nicely when he becomes an adult. It is neat to watch the transformation.
They have very good distance vision. It is amazing what they can see & we are just like, what? LOL

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!