Patience is a virtue... - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #121
SnakeEyesExotics
Aww honey, I'm so sorry to hear about her passing. I too am glad that you have the baby to remember her by. Hugs :/

Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #122
AbsoluteApril
I had asked the vet for copies of the xray for my records and to share; they had to take 2 sets because she hadn't been positioned correctly during the first set. They sent me the disc with pics and they were all from the first set, totally useless. So I finally just went down there with my camera today after work and had them pull the xray so I could take my own pics...

finally here it is:

The top is her tail. The red arrow is showing the oversized slug that she was not able to pass. Below that are the babies that died in utero (correct term?) and the yellow arrows are pointing to the pockets of gas buildup from the dead babies, which led to the septicemia that killed her.

Closer look at the slug area and you can see on the far right side one baby that had been pushed partially out around the slug & also lead to the blockage.

Trying to look on the bright side, I can say that I have learned don't pass go, don't collect $200, just go directly to the vet at the first sign of trouble during labor. Her little baby Solstice is doing fine so I'm happy about that. I hope someone else can maybe one day learn from my experience.
Thanks for looking and again for all the sympathy, it really helped.
-April

Old 01-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #123
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I had asked the vet for copies of the xray for my records and to share; they had to take 2 sets because she hadn't been positioned correctly during the first set. They sent me the disc with pics and they were all from the first set, totally useless. So I finally just went down there with my camera today after work and had them pull the xray so I could take my own pics...

finally here it is:

The top is her tail. The red arrow is showing the oversized slug that she was not able to pass. Below that are the babies that died in utero (correct term?) and the yellow arrows are pointing to the pockets of gas buildup from the dead babies, which led to the septicemia that killed her.

Closer look at the slug area and you can see on the far right side one baby that had been pushed partially out around the slug & also lead to the blockage.

Trying to look on the bright side, I can say that I have learned don't pass go, don't collect $200, just go directly to the vet at the first sign of trouble during labor. Her little baby Solstice is doing fine so I'm happy about that. I hope someone else can maybe one day learn from my experience.
Thanks for looking and again for all the sympathy, it really helped.
-April
im so sorry April.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #124
crotalusadamanteus
Man, that slug is enormous! No wonder she had such a hard time. Don't suppose the vet has an idea as to why it's so over grown?

Glad you were able to at least get some pictures of the X-rays for yourself to look at. I know for me it would be a closure of sorts.

Sorry again. Hope it's all getting easier for you.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #125
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Man, that slug is enormous! No wonder she had such a hard time. Don't suppose the vet has an idea as to why it's so over grown?
Not really, basically he just said it's one of those random things.

Quote:
Sorry again. Hope it's all getting easier for you.
thanks, it is; her cage is still empty though, just haven't had the heart to put anyone else in there yet.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #126
Snakesitter
April, I remember reading this as one of the first threads I saw when I started checking Fauna regularly. I'm so sorry for your loss, and appreciate the fact you were willing to share the experience and knowledge to help others. I hope Solstice grows into an absolute stunner for you as a tribute to a fine Mom (in fact, two fine Moms!).

Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #127
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
it doesn't really give a reason why, but I did hear from two other people on another forum I posted this on that also lost females due to oversizes slugs. So just thought that was interesting...

Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #128
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
it doesn't really give a reason why, but I did hear from two other people on another forum I posted this on that also lost females due to oversizes slugs. So just thought that was interesting...
Interesting... Just was a bit curious about it. Sure would be neat to understand why it happens on occasion. I could understand if the follicle was fertilized twice, and twins were to happen. But a slug hasn't been fertilized at all, so...

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #129
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Interesting... Just was a bit curious about it. Sure would be neat to understand why it happens on occasion. I could understand if the follicle was fertilized twice, and twins were to happen. But a slug hasn't been fertilized at all, so...
twins was my first thought as well! I've heard theory that sometimes the ova are fertalized but die before development happens and speculation was that the darker orange slugs were previously fertalized ova and the lighter ones are unfertalized.. but I have no idea

Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #130
crotalusadamanteus
You might be right. I have had two partially formed ones in my meager experiences. Both had a fair chunk of solid dark yolk mostly surrounding them too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!