Substrate Poll (More than 1OK) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Substrate use/ frequency of cleaning
Newspaper 58 43.94%
Cypress mulch 25 18.94%
Aspen shavings 51 38.64%
Commercial paper lining/roll 13 9.85%
Commercial paper lining/precut piece 4 3.03%
Other substrate, comment below 7 5.30%
Spot clean daily 16 12.12%
Spot clean as needed 62 46.97%
Change entire substrate daily 0 0%
Change entire substrate every couple days 5 3.79%
Change entire substrate weekly 26 19.70%
Change entire substrate whenever needed 69 52.27%
Newspaper, remove layers as needed 7 5.30%
Disinfect/scrub as necessary 61 46.21%
What, I hafta clean? 3 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Water spills clump as well and can be easily removed. .....(barring catastrophic water bowl athletics).
maybe that wouldn't be the stuff for me then, lol, several of mine are medal holders in that event.
After the stuff clumps the water, can it be broken up/left in the cage?

Old 05-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
MorphTiles
in sweaterboxes I go between 1/8 - 1/4 inch deep in regular display cages I do 1/4 - 3/8 inch deep

Old 05-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
Mike Greathouse
I spread the Sani-Chips about 1" to 2" thick in the small enclosures and about 2" to 3" thick in the large enclosures.

Old 05-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #14
Mike Greathouse
HH,
Once the water is absorbed into the clumps, it will dry and can be broken up, although I wouldn't recommend it. There is too much of a risk of mold. It's much easier to simply remove the clumps (it stays reasonably localized) and replace substrate as needed.

Old 05-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
hhmoore
gotcha - I was asking because of a combination of factors: the frequency of training for the waterbowl events; and the fact that I keep a number of moderate-high humidity species, so a moist substrate helps alot.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
Mike Greathouse
Sani-Chips would not be my recommendation for those species requiring high humidity. I think there are some better choices that will undoubtedly be listed here by the keepers of those animals.

I have had success with humidity boxes within Sani-Chip enclosures. Primarily for egg-laying boxes for the colubrids. But I have to keep a close eye on these enclosures for signs of mold.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #17
snakebiteAZ1
Talking I like

Newspaper, with around 100 snakes it is alot cheaper, and my daughter's boyfriend works for the newspaper, so i get the leftovers and the end of unprinted rolls for free. I have newspaper to last a lifetime LOL!!!

Old 05-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #18
Karen Hulvey
I like shredded aspen for the wee babies about 2" thick so they can choose anywhere to hide, not just their hidebox.

Mulch for the larger snakes, about 2" thick there too.

Others get chipped aspen about 2" thick.

I feed prey that has been stunned (whacked if you please) off tongs while they are in their cages and I haven't had a problem with them eating anything they should not be eating. I do stand right there while they eat, though.

The little guys get moved to small deli cups w/o substrate to eat until I can get them to take food off tongs. It seems to help them find their food better.

I spot clean every time I feed and also if I notice a mess or a spilled water dish then the whole enclosure is cleaned.

I've changed my arboreals to paper towels. I can keep them a little damp w/o any problem.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 AM   #19
hhmoore
I went back to mulch for my amazons - just wasn't happy with the paper towels. currently, the emeralds have a bare floor; but when I change them over to the other cages, i will likely go back to mulch with them also. mulch for the bloods and D'Albert's (tried the white lips on newpaper, but went back for the humidity). Newspaper for everything else. I was thinking about
Sani Chips, or one of the similar substrates for the general population - I hope to run away from home for a few days this summer; and I just know that if I do, my very favorite snakes will urinate as soon as I walk out the door, and have pneumonitis and blisters when I get home. (I was inquiring about the higher humidity stuff just cuz its easier to have one substrate).

<oh-I found just the thing for the baby Cape York Spotted Pythons in the food storage section at Walmart - 15 for $3.88>

Old 05-18-2005, 08:01 AM   #20
Lucille
I emailed the Sani-Chip people, telling them I was just a hobbyist; I got an email back from one of their 'account executives' who want to talk to me. I emailed them back saying I just want the number of their Houston supplier. If anyone already has a Sani-Chip supplier list by city and can post that info I would appreciate it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!