One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Tere Salazar
One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus

It is with great pain that I make this post. After seeing the heartbreak that Wendy at Neverland Dragons had suffered due to the Adenovirus, I decided to have all my breeders tested. I submitted 10 samples for testing on January 17th. Of the 10 samples, 6 of the tests were completed this afternoon. The remainder of the tests will be completed Monday morning. Of those 6 samples, 4 of our breeders came back positive for the Adenovirus.
Those breeders who tested positive are Hercules, Adonis, Athena and Andromeda. As soon as the remaining test results are received I will post those as well. Currently Aphrodite and Eros are negative.

As soon as I got word from the lab about the positive results, I contacted a very close friend of mine who has two offspring from Apollo and Lizzie and who just received PCR testing results. Of those two offspring, one tested positive and one tested negative for the Adenovirus. Apollo passed away in December of 2005 and was never tested, and Lizzie's results will be posted as soon as they are received.

I have already contacted everyone that I have documentation for, but in October of last year, we attended the Tucson Reptile Show, and sold quite a few babies from those parents. I do not have any way of contacting the people who bought from us at that show. If you purchased a dragon from us at the Tucson Show in October, please contact us as soon as possible.

Please everyone test your dragons!!! It doesn't matter if you bought them from me or Joe Blow on the street corner. The only way we can get some control over this virus is to test our animals and learn from what we find.
Perhaps over time and with enough testing some great minds may develop a cure and all of our beloved dragons will be safe.

As of today, Obsession Dragons became nothing more than my obsession for bearded dragons. We will no longer be breeding, purchasing, selling or trading.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
im so sorry to be reading this.... I am positive you will be thanked by many for letting everyone know about this... This really breaks my heart.

I think i feel the same as others though that you should not pull out of your breeding projects permanently. If you and a group of others established Adenovirus free colonies you would change the way others keep and breed their dragons as well! It must be painful to lose so many animals that you love and care for... but dont give up just yet! Youve been so honest about everything, and not many others could be standing in your place admitting what you have to the rest of the reptile world.

Youre somone that needs to stick around!

Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
Laura Fopiano
Unhappy

Terry, after going through something similar to your situation with my boas, I truly understand your pain. Although the babies that I had tested negative, I still put down my collection.

If there is anything that you need, a shoulder to cry on, or just an ear to listen, don't hesitate pick up the phone and call me any time. I will be moving in ten days and will get my new number to you as soon as I have it.

Stay string, keep your head up, and know that you are the bravest person to even talk about this. There are some that would just pretend and or ignore this.
My prayers are with you, your family, and your dragons.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
im so sorry to be reading this.... I am positive you will be thanked by many for letting everyone know about this... This really breaks my heart.

I think i feel the same as others though that you should not pull out of your breeding projects permanently. If you and a group of others established Adenovirus free colonies you would change the way others keep and breed their dragons as well! It must be painful to lose so many animals that you love and care for... but dont give up just yet! Youve been so honest about everything, and not many others could be standing in your place admitting what you have to the rest of the reptile world.

Alicia-

Thank you. I am devastated right about now, but was able to make one sane decision today. We are no longer going to breed because we have chosen to NOT euthanize our dragons, but to continue loving and nurturing them as long as they will allow us. Right now, I can't with clear conscience euthanize an animal that is heatlhy, simply because they can no longer be bred. It is my understanding that many dragons have lived long lives with this virus, and I intend to give my dragons that chance. When the time comes that they are no longer outwardly healthy, that's when we'll cross that bridge. But until then, I will give them what I always have, all my love.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Fopiano
Terry, after going through something similar to your situation with my boas, I truly understand your pain. Although the babies that I had tested negative, I still put down my collection.

If there is anything that you need, a shoulder to cry on, or just an ear to listen, don't hesitate pick up the phone and call me any time. I will be moving in ten days and will get my new number to you as soon as I have it.

Stay string, keep your head up, and know that you are the bravest person to even talk about this. There are some that would just pretend and or ignore this.
My prayers are with you, your family, and your dragons.
Thank you, Laura.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle

I agree. This is a huge setback but it doesn't have to be the end. We need honest people like you, out there. If you can establish a 'clean' colony, then the community will be so much better off, for having people like you still in it.

So sorry this has happened

Old 01-20-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon

Thank you. I am devastated right about now, but was able to make one sane decision today. We are no longer going to breed because we have chosen to NOT euthanize our dragons, but to continue loving and nurturing them as long as they will allow us. Right now, I can't with clear conscience euthanize an animal that is heatlhy, simply because they can no longer be bred. It is my understanding that many dragons have lived long lives with this virus, and I intend to give my dragons that chance. When the time comes that they are no longer outwardly healthy, that's when we'll cross that bridge. But until then, I will give them what I always have, all my love.
ETA
I wish you well and hope your dragons live long lives.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnewbie
ETA
I wish you well and hope your dragons live long lives.
Same here. I can totally understand that logic and the attachment to a loved animal. I wish you and your dragons all the luck in the world. *hug*

Old 01-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
ByRandom
My heart goes out to you and your's. I understand how completely devastating that may be. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #10
Art Klass
Tere,
I know how hard this is for you. Your professionalism and strength of character is a testament to the reptile trade. Many kudos to you for manning up and doing the right thing, which is also the hard choice. If there is anything that I can do......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!