Dwarf & Hal Dwarf Burmese Pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Krj-2501
Dwarf & Hal Dwarf Burmese Pythons

I am curious about the Dwarf Brumese Python(Python bivittatus progschai) and it's hybrid with the mainland Brums - known as half dwarfs. While I understand that both the Dwarf Burm and Half Dwarfs are smaller than typical Burms. The information I have so far suggests the Dwarfs grow to about 4-8 feet, and the Half Dwarfs grow to about 5-10 feet.

I do have questions about the general temperament of the Dwarfs. Also about what is the typical price range for Half Dwarfs and Dwarfs?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Krj-2501
I have always liked the look of the Burmese Pythons(wild type) - But at present time do not have the space nor confidence to handle a 10+ foot large constrictor.

This is why I am looking into a Dwarf Burmese Python. As everything I have read so far suggests that 100% Dwarf Burms tend to average about the size of large adult Ball Python(4-6 feet). Which is why I am interesting in them. As it combines the look of the Burmese with the general size of Ball Python.

I also know the Half Dwarf Burms get a bit larger - but at present they seem to be the only way to get the mainland morphs in "dwarf" form. So I am considering them - only if I end up getting and liking the pure Dwarfs.

Am I looking at this all wrong or am I on the right track?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
jonpat1969
i dont know if anyone responded to your questions but speaking from experience i owned a 10 to 12 foot burmese python back in the day! And let me tell you they are great pets but for me he just got to big. So cleaning the cage, feeding, and handling really became a harder task the bigger he got. So that being said i would go with a 100% dwarf. i really dont know what type of temperament they have vs a regular burmese but my regular one was real nice. anyway i hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
Krj-2501
Thank you for responding.

From what research I have done - suggests captive bred Progschai can have a temperament similar to regular brums. This comes from online videos, and talking to various breeders. They generally state that while wild caught dwarfs tend to be shy, and defensive. Captive bred individuals tend to have a temperament which is more like the mainland brums.

I have actually handed a young (about 1 year old) male mainland brum before. He was about 4 feet long, and weight about 3.5 lbs. Is presently owned by a friend who works at a local pet shop.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:08 AM   #5
DLenaRuth999s
Based only on very limited experience with a male yearling F2 dwarf... very chill, eats well, hangs out under his RHP, not even a hiss when I take him out his quarantine cage, likes to explore.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
Krj-2501
By F2 - do you mean 2nd generation captive bred pure dwarf or 2nd generation Half(50%) Dwarf?

Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
DLenaRuth999s
Second generation CBB pure dwarf. Wild type, no morph.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Krj-2501
Cool !!

I only asked -because I have seen a few half dwarfs also listed as F2s. But your statement - along with others I have heard suggests that captive bred progschai really do "tame" down.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 AM   #9
Krj-2501
I recently bought a pair of pure Progschai from Bob Clark.

1 male & 1 female.

both are about 16"/40 cm(estimated length)

Both are very active, snappy and defensive (typical of a baby burm, especially a dwarf).

Also both feed within 36 hours after I received them - a single rat fuzzy each.

Here's a picture of each - the 1st is the male, the 2nd is the female.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #10
Scootter
Very cool! I hope you keep us updated as they grow up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!