BREEDING SILKBACKS ARE CRUEL! PUT A STOP TO IT! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #41
Sirengarg
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad537 View Post
not all purebred dogs have problems. just most of them.
List the breeds who DON'T have genetic problems.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #42
DeMeNtEdDoGz
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
Extra cash for silkies? Make money? I must be doing something wrong.
Too funny! I dont see this conversation going anywhere but that made me laugh.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #43
HeatherN
i've never heard of a purebred dog who doesn't have problems, i am very curious to know which breeds are free of genetic predisposition to health problems, save me some worry.
but if you wouldn't breed animals because of sensitivities, why stop there? why not keep people with sensitive skin, cancer, heart issues, Huntington's, or any other condition with genetic factors from breeding? allowing their reproduction would just be cruel, right? >.>

Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
Sirengarg
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherN View Post
i've never heard of a purebred dog who doesn't have problems, i am very curious to know which breeds are free of genetic predisposition to health problems, save me some worry.
but if you wouldn't breed animals because of sensitivities, why stop there? why not keep people with sensitive skin, cancer, heart issues, Huntington's, or any other condition with genetic factors from breeding? allowing their reproduction would just be cruel, right? >.>
Ditto. Sure some individual purebred dogs get lucky and never develop a genetic issue, but as a whole, every purebred breed has at least 1-2 issues. At LEAST. Then you have breeds like old english bulldog who has a laundry list of genetic issues.

On the second point of your post, I recently had a conversation with a coworker when she mentioned how wild animals never show signs of poor eyesight, cancer, etc. I said yeah, survival of the fittest. One the strong survive and carry their genes on. Consider the fact that its been discovered and currently studied that some dogs can smell cancer cells. Its not a leap to think wolves for instance can do the same. So if a wolf senses that a potential mate may not be 100% healthy, its not going to mate with it. I bet centuries ago, when we were just cavemen, we were pickier on mates too. Afterall, a near sighted hunter was no hunter at all. We now choose our mates based more on personality and looks, rather than health. That's why disease is SO common in our own species.

So yes....if its wrong to breed two animals because they may share and pass on defects...then do we force humans who may both carry say poor eyesight, heart disease or cancer to have children? Its the same basic idea.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #45
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirengarg View Post
Also read silkies require more care.
Misconception, all dragons require a certain amount of care silkies require no more care than a normal beardie.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #46
Mreynolds101110
This thread actually made me like silkies even more, I always pictured them being fragile. I personally have yet to encounter them! ( other than looking, never held one).

This thread also made me think about what a trans/dunner/witblit might look like.....maybe throw in silky into that mix? How neat would that be?!? No idea if it would even be possible but the image looks cool in my head

Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #47
HeatherN
ive touched silkies and they are the coolest feeling lizards.. really like silk!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #48
SpidermanBeardeds
This is incredible. I havnt seen any of these replies since the 2nd or 3rd reply and now there's 5 pages worth of replies. I saw something in here about dog breeds, real random lol. Hows things going with this topic people? Any updates on these silkies? proof that theyre more delicate regarding rays and all? Proof of anything? Im curious myself about them, I pretty much dropped my old opinion on them seeing I came out sounding like a DEE-EYE-SEE-KAY. Quick q for the community. Do these silkies ALWAYS have skin shedding off their head?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #49
scorpioartist
I have seen and held trans silkies,they are pretty awesome.The red silkie I had was cool because the red was so intense.I think witblits and dunner silkies would be awesome,they will appear eventually,and the markings on a dunner silkie will probably the coolest ever to me I think...

This thread also made me think about what a trans/dunner/witblit might look like.....maybe throw in silky into that mix? How neat would that be?!? No idea if it would even be possible but the image looks cool in my head [/quote]

Old 01-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #50
SpidermanBeardeds
I wonder what the big difference would be in a dunner silkie. I heard the dunners are all about the directions that the scales face, but the silkbacks scales are reduced by a laughable amount. I wonder if there would even be a point in having a silkback dunner. Probably the tail would look cool seeing dunners have a certain pattern to their tail.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!