whats a good snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
xXBlueLipsXx
Question whats a good snake

currently when I get back from my vacation, my mom is letting me get a snake (im 16). I've been thinking about getting a Green tree python or a(n) Emerald Tree boa, but i've heard there aggressive and arent the handling type. but I dont know if its true because I heard of people touching and handling these two species about every few days (not just for maintanes). Anywho I'm just wondering whats a good first time snake (dont say corn snake or king snake because I dont really want those I'm kinda looking for some type of snake thats still exotic but can tolerate my handling and doesnt mind it too much) anyone know of some?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Helenthereef
I also wanted an Emerald Tree Boa as my first snake, because they are really beautiful, but I am so glad now that I didn't - all those who keep them say that they are not good snakes for handling - and if the snake doesn't like to be handled, it will stress out and you won't like it either!

So, I think you are being very realistic, and doing the right thing by asking for advice. Everyone's will be different, but here is mine:

I did start with a ratsnake and a corn snake, and actually really enjoyed them and would have them again in the future. There are some really spectacular coloured cornsnakes out there, and they get pretty big in time.

However, I think you can't go wrong with a standard Boa - there are plenty of options as to pattern and colouration, there are plenty of responsible beeders and sellers on here who can guide you to a great snake without it costing a fortune, they get big but not too big, they have character and a great temperament for regular handling.

Some people will guide you towards Ball Pythons, and there are every many of those around, but in my opinion they aren't too much fun to handle - a Boa is more responsive to its owner (Now I'm going to be shouted at by Ball Python lovers, but I did say this was a matter of opinion ).

I'd also go to your local pet store and see what kind of support there is in the area - get an address for a local reptile vet, food stores etc. You're going to need frozen mice to start with and rats later on.

Hope you have fun choosing - let us know what you get!.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
xXBlueLipsXx
yeaa im thinking about going to the reptile expo where I live at, where there selling (last time i went there, there wasnt many babies yet only last years) but im not to big on boas anyways (unless there exotic like the emerald lol) nor corn snakes nor king snakes (i really dont know why lol), thats why I came here if anyone knew of a good snake thats not sold at petsmart or petco (ones at the expo there boas are waayyy more then I have money wise atm and there not babies or at least a juvinile). sorry for bad spelling, it sucks, i know lol

Old 07-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
hhmoore
ETBs and GTPs are attractive, no doubt about that...but they are also fairly expensive, and not very forgiving of husbandry errors. In other words, they really aren't a good choice for somebody's first snake - of course, the same can be said for most of the "exotic" species because they tend to have specialized care requirements.
Since you seem to be set against "common" snakes; what is it you like about GTPs and ETBs? The color? The way they coil on a perch? Their size? The way a nicely decorated cage looks?
It would be easier to recommend something if you offered some basic guidelines, such as size limits, price range, etc; but I'll toss out the suggestion of carpet pythons to give you something to consider.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
xXBlueLipsXx
mainly I like how cool they look there patterns are unusual sometimes it really makes me interested in all up honesty and they just look cool. I dont mind a bit of hard work to take care of a snake (personally I like a little challenge) as for pricing it doesnt matter too much but nothing over $1,000 because thats just too expensive for me at the moment. also I like the size's they get to and just there look in general when there perched up on something and coiled.
price the snake has to be under $1,000
My size limit... I really dont have one, but I would prefer a snake to be big in all honestly
also I'd like for it to be colorful and beautiful really

Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
hhmoore
ETBs and GTPs aren't big. Afrocks and retics are big.
This is a jungle carpet/diamond python cross

another one

a "lower grade" more common looking version

And carpets are semi-arboreal, so they will make use of perches/branches

and a jaguar, for good measure

Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
xXBlueLipsXx
do they tolerate handling? and dont mind it really at all?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
SamBob
Honestly if I had up to $1000 to spend on a snake I would get a Burmese python because you can hold them when they're small but they're really fun to look at when they get older. I just don't know exactly how their personalities are when they're full grown (wouldn't want to get bit by one of those lol)

Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
xXBlueLipsXx
I think burmese pythons are illegal in my state or you need a liscence for it (i know some snakes are illegal in my state)

Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
SamBob
Oh haha well I'm in Oregon but I don't know what the guidelines are. I'm pretty sure reticulated pythons are illegal where I live

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!