11 more yellow ackie eggs laid 9/6/12 - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
hoppingherps
Honestly prepared foods are the worse thing you can give them. I would suggest breeding your own insects, and you can also try frozen/thawed pinkie mice. Raising my own mice and insects have really saved me in the long run since I have so many mouths to feed.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
invalid_character
food items

i was kind of hoping not to have to get into raising 3 things just to feed 1, you know what i mean, but ya, i can see what you are saying. I will try the frozen pinky mice thing too... any concerns about calcium supplementation w/immature mice?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Clay Davenport
Raising most roach species is pretty easy and is a handy supply of insects.
I feed my ackies roaches and thawed pink mice, but they also like sliced beef heart, raw shrimp, and cut up raw fish.
Beef heart and raw catfish nuggets are cheap in the store. Frozen shrimp are sort of expensive, but when you consider two jumbo shrimp is more than one ackie needs at a feeding, it's not that bad. It also has the added bonus of having shrimp on hand for me to grill for supper.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
invalid_character
thanks for the tips. I tried both heart and fish and he turns his nose up at it. he's very picky. I thought superworms would be a hit since they are bugs but he wont eat those either. so far just roaches and crickets.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
Clay Davenport
Myself, I'd try letting him go a few days without food and see if it sparked his interest in other things.
I'm no ackie guru by any means, but I've kept them for over 10 years, just not that many different individuals. It still seems odd to me that one would be fixated on insects like that to the exclusion of other things. Every one I've had was quite liberal in what he or she ate.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
invalid_character
ya, that's what I've heard t00 - some reads make them sound like vacuum cleaners - eat everything in sight, but not this one. maybe you are right - i've always fed him up w as much as he can eat since he's growing. i'll cut back a bit and see if he takes a fish.

thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
hoppingherps
Here is a pic of one of the little ones sorry for the delay been without internet for a few days.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #18
Rooster88
I like that thing. I've only seen reds so far and like the yellow ones better.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
jwalker72
dubias can easily be bred

Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Jtown1106
at first my yellow wouldnt even eat dubias. had to keep him without food for a day or two. but now he eats crickets, dubs, and pinkies. wont touch those canned crickets either. spits em out haha. and yes, dubia roach colonies are pretty easy to maintain. dont stink or make annoying sounds like crickets. btw i got my yellow from michael almost a year ago now. very happy with my ackie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!