a question for you breeders/sellers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
missmymark
a question for you breeders/sellers

If someone pays via money order what is your policy....I mean do you hold off shipping for weeks until the mo "clears" (I don't understand this concept as money orders can be cashed right in your post office or at any bank....they are PAID for already so cash is right there) I do know that there is cases of fake mo but if you cash it at the post office wouldn't you KNOW right then and there that it is good? And wouldn't banks know right away if it was fake? I just was told there was a 2 week hold on a frog I bought from RaysReptilia? I am just worried about the weather and all. I use MO instead of sending personal checks thinking it would make for quicker shipping.....So anyone want to shed some light on why this would take 2 weeks....I could understand a few days or so but 2 WEEKS? It is Novermber after all. I think I am done with internet purchasing. I will wait for any shows/sales. I just hope the frog gets here alive not frozen.....I even re read his web site and there is nothing I could find stating the delay.....oh well to late to turn back now as he's already got my money.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
hockeymom
My Experience as a buyer and a seller is- My bank holds moneyorders until they clear (what ever that means, up to 10 days) they don't treat them as cash, which I don't understand. But a Postal money order can be cashed at the post office immidiatly.

Go figure.
Becky
AKA "Hockeymom"

Old 11-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Bill_Leverton
I think you are being strung along. With a money order you can go to any Post Office (if postal) or you can go to your bank and cash it, I know of NO Bank that holds a M.O for 2 weeks, I would call Ray's and find out what is going on.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
hockeymom
I live in So. CA. and bank at PFF which is a pretty large bank. They said they put a hold on the money because there are so many fraud. money orders out there. My bank doesn't even issue MO's they only do bank checks.
I only accept and use Postal Money orders it's so much eaisier.
Becky

Old 11-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
missmymark
Yeah it is a USPS money order (a federal document)

Old 11-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater_Reptiles
I think you are being strung along. With a money order you can go to any Post Office (if postal) or you can go to your bank and cash it, I know of NO Bank that holds a M.O for 2 weeks, I would call Ray's and find out what is going on.
Should of clarified this, If you get a postal money order (which she did) Any bank will cash it at least banks on the east coast that I've done business with, west coast my be different But Like I said Call Ray's and see what is going on.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
Bill_Leverton
Jamie thought this might be of interest http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...t=RaysReptilia

Old 11-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
PaulSage
Postal money orders your safest bet. They are much more difficult to conterfeit than bank MOs. Also, as previously mentioned, they should be able to be cashed just about anywhere. Bank MO's can take more than 2 weeks to clear, as the purchaser of said MO has 10 days to file for a stop-payment on the MO. Being an official item, they are processed both through the originating bank's proof dept. and TWICE through the Fed. As a seller, I would choose to avoid bank MO's. Depending on the bank and your relationship with said bank, a MO can cost $5-7+ and I don't think I've ever paid more than $0.90 for a Postal MO. If you feel that you are being strung along (as previously suggested) I believe you can file a dispute with the post office, but I have not done that and am not sure how you'd go about it.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
missmymark
Hmm don't look too promising. Thanks for the info guys. I guess I better HOPE that the frog arrives alive and well. As I said I DID use a USPS money order. I hope I'm home when the poor thing arrives. I hate to think what that frog will go thru. I tell you I don't think I'll order over the net anymore. I am still waiting to hear about some snakes I ordered. This guy (not Ray's) kept delaying shipping then I read another ad he has posted for another snake stating he finally got rid of the mites (YIPES, he never disclosed this to me). Then when I asked him for a invoice to be included with the snakes as I was applying for my permits and they told me I would need them he proceeds to tell me that if I don't tell them (the govt) I have them they won't know (not a good selling tactic in my book). And finally when he agrees to send it, one snake suddenly disappears and he wants to refund me only $10 and send the other one to me. I think not. I want the whole thing.....I hope to get it back soon....I think I'll stop buying over the net and just go the 3 hrs up and 3 hrs back to the darn show/sales in Columbus. Not worth the headache and worry.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
missmymark
Just got an email....He is shipping it out to me on Tues.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread