HOMEMADE AMISH CHICKEN AND NOODLES Over Mashed Potatoes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 10-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
JColt
HOMEMADE AMISH CHICKEN AND NOODLES Over Mashed Potatoes

Had this last night. So much that I nearly made myself sick. Great on a cold day and your body want's carbs!

INGREDIENTS
1 4 lb. whole chicken
4-6 Tablespoons chicken base (feel free to use more or less according to your tastes)
12 ounces Amish style thin egg noodles
4 Tablespoons butter (optional)

Place the chicken in a slow cooker and cover it with water. Set the crock pot to high and cook for 5 hours on high or 8-10 on low. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly, then debone and shred the chicken.

Carefully pour the broth from the slow cooker through a strainer into a large pot. You need enough liquid in the pot to boil all of the noodles, so if needed, add a cup or two of water. Add the chicken to the pot, then bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Stir in four tablespoons of the chicken base, dissolve completely, then taste. If the broth doesn't have a strong enough flavor, add an extra Tablespoon or two to taste.

Add the noodles and boil for 8-10 minutes or until noodles are soft. Stir in the butter, if desired, and allow it to melt. The noodles will be soupy, but they'll keep slurping up the broth the longer they sit. Plus, the broth makes a great "gravy" for your mashed potatoes. Feel free to strain extra broth off before serving if you wish. Serve noodles over mashed potatoes or as a side dish.

Pour chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Lucille
When I first found a similar recipe some time back, at first I wondered about having noodles AND mashed potatoes. But some people I know said it was incredibly delicious and a well known dish from their childhood. I made it and indeed it is wonderful!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
Helenthereef
OK, as the foreigner in the room (yet again) --- What are Amish noodles? Noodles without zippers??????????

Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
JColt
I don't really know why they're called that but they are thin noodles. My mom used to make her own from scratch and pretty thick. I'm too lazy, lol. Yes Lucille when I was growing up we used to have a lot of double carb meals. I grew up in middle to upper middle class but both my parents were farm raised and poor and meals were made that way to fill up cheaply. It is a comfort food. Gal I work with cringes when I bring sausage gravy and biscuits for lunch.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Gal I work with cringes when I bring sausage gravy and biscuits for lunch.
Well that's because gravy is meant to be brown and on roast beef, and biscuits should have raisins, jam, or chocolate chips in them.

Honestly I was totally baffled when I first saw what looked like scones with white sauce and was told it was biscuits and gravy ...

(Of course Brits never eat ANYTHING weird - my comfort food is fruitcake with cheese - even the Scots don't believe it)

Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
OK, as the foreigner in the room (yet again) --- What are Amish noodles? Noodles without zippers??????????
You could substitute with the really thin egg noodles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!