Debating the best "community" bichir tank... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Randall Turner
Debating the best "community" bichir tank...

So I finally picked up a polypterus senegalus after wanting one for a very long time, (picking up a 2nd one later in the week) and trying to decide on what other fish to keep with them. Contemplating something along the lines of a couple silver dollars, or even maybe an oscar (sized appropriately to avoid the bichirs becoming food). They will be in a 75 gallon with sump filtration. I'd appreciate input from anyone who has some insight that they could share regarding polys and community tanks. The polys are currently rather small (in the 3" range) so have a while before the community tank setup will be put into use.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
JColt
Cool looking critter! I used to have multiple tanks years ago. I may one day have just a small community tank again after I retire. No more big stuff though. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
James L
Great fish! I had a pair of albino's for about 10 years before they died. I don't recommend you keep any other fish with them. They don't see too well so finding or catching food sometimes take them a minute. I found that other fish would get the food items before the bichirs. But mine were albino so may be that had something to do with that. They did also bite other fish randomly sometimes as they swam by so theres so they issue too. Super fun and cool fish though. Easy also. Goodluck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!