Cute little fuzzy caterpillar - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
WebSlave
Cute little fuzzy caterpillar

Man, this thing looked so fuzzy and cuddly, I just wanted to pick it up and hug it.......

Yeah, I know.... I would have REALLY regretted doing that. For those of you who might not know what this is, it is a Puss Caterpillar. Considered to be the most venomous caterpillar in the USA.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-weird-insect/

Old 09-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Wow. never heard of it, but as soon as I saw the chomping teeth alarm bells went off.... very cool.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
WebSlave
What should be setting off alarm bells are all the bristles around the head in that third pic. THOSE are what will really hurt!

Hope I don't see more of these in the citrus trees. Sure wouldn't want Connie or myself to get zapped by one of these by just not seeing it on the underside of a leaf while we are picking fruits off of the trees. It would be yet another piece of mother nature that I won't be real happy about.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
Helenthereef
Thick... gardening... gloves.

What does this guy turn into, and when - is there a season, after which you would be safe?

(Quick Google Search shows it's a current problem in Florida...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poisono...-er-mom-warns/)

"In Florida, there are two generations of puss caterpillars a year, one in spring and the other in fall. Last year, the Florida Poison Centers got 393 calls about people stung by caterpillars, JoAnn Chambers-Emerson, an educator at the Florida Poison Information Center in Tampa, told CBS News.

The caterpillars are most often found on oak and citrus trees. But as Staggs discovered, these "crazy critters" can be just about anywhere.

If you believe you have been stung by a puss caterpillar, don't panic. The Poison Center of Tampa has some recommended steps to take.

"Place Scotch tape over the affected area and strip off repeatedly to remove spines. Apply ice packs to reduce the stinging sensation, and follow with a paste of baking soda and water," the poison control center wrote in a statement online. "If the victim has a history of hay fever, asthma or allergy, or if allergic reactions develop, contact a physician immediately."

Old 10-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
JColt
I got nailed by one of those climbing a tree in Orlando back in early 70's and I still remember it!

Old 10-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
joyknights
It is so beautiful, may I know what type of camera did you used to capture these photos?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyknights View Post
It is so beautiful, may I know what type of camera did you used to capture these photos?
Sorry, been preoccupied lately.

Photos were taken using a Nikon D850 camera with the Nikkor 70-180mm Zoom Micro lens.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!