Scammers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
shocter
Scammers

Hi, I've read multiple listings talking about the scammers here on this site. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to confirm a seller is legit? I've checked the previous posts of 2 sellers I purchased from and saw that they had sold animals before so I felt comfortable purchasing from them. But what about new sellers, how can I check them out or what can I ask of them to confirm they are legit? I posted an inquiry on someone but didn't get a response. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Silver

Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
laterob
Hi, Silver. Great question. There are a few things you can do to verify whether/ not the seller actually has a snake or is on the up and up. The best course of action, for me, has been to NOT buy from someone who just joined, has very few posts, or has zero karma or zero/ negative reputation level. There are too many sellers out there with multiple references; for me, it's just not worth the risk.

To ensure they have the animal, ask for a pic with something odd in it (keys, today's paper, a remote control, etc.). It is pretty easy to google search pics and come up with a lot of the scammer's pics. Many people here will recognize a pic if it's from someone else's site. I ALWAYS steer clear of ads that don't post pics - it's too easy to attach an image these days. "Camera not working"? Then don't list it yet.

Never pay with a money order. Ever. Use paypal, which will offer you some protection. A scammer likely won't take paypal, but they could (chime in here, guys).

I think, in the end, ask for their full name, find out all you can about them. If there's no info at all (as you mentioned with the other seller), I always let other people be the guinea pig. It's just not worth the risk, to me.

Anyone who legitimately wants to sell animals should have invested the time and energy to build up a reputation and references before they try to sell here. If they haven't, I don't touch them.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Another suggestion is to use the BOI to it's fullest potential. Do a search for the name or username of the seller. Post an 'Inquiry' on the BOI about the seller to see if anyone has any information (good or bad) about them. It's not foolproof, but it's a tool that has proved it's value over and over again.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
laterob
See, look at John's post count, karma, trader rating, and reputation level. There's someone to buy from. Except he doesn't seem to sell here......hmm......lol.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
shocter
Thanks! I didn't realize there was a feedback for buyers and sellers. Guess I better go leave some for the two sellers I made purchases from.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterob View Post
See, look at John's post count, karma, trader rating, and reputation level. There's someone to buy from. Except he doesn't seem to sell here......hmm......lol.
Thanks! Oh, the eggs are in the oven amigo...i'll have something to sell soon enuff!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
laterob
2 ovens at least, by the looks of it. That's why I am buttering you up already, so I can get a good deal on some new kids.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Tiger Lilly
The BOI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocter View Post
Thanks! I didn't realize there was a feedback for buyers and sellers. Guess I better go leave some for the two sellers I made purchases from.
The BOI is a great tool for researching your sellers. Hopefully, the people you have bought from are members as well--if not, it wouldn't hurt to suggest it to them.
Become a contributor and other contributors can "Rate this Seller." This is another form of feedback. This is how you build your reputation in this community, as a buyer or a seller.
BTW, welcome to Fauna!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
hhmoore
PayPal doesn't offer a whole lot of protection, and a number of scammers have used it. One thing to look for with PayPal is to make sure that the seller is a Verified member. That means that they have gone through a confirmation process, and backed their account with banking/credit card info.
USPS money orders are ok. Taking a USPS money order in the act of fraud bring a person into the realm of Federal crime. Do avoid other types of money orders, though.
Be VERY wary of sellers that insist upon payment via Western Union. Even the Western Union website warns of sending money through their service to people you don't know (I've noticed warning signs in the local store that offers W.U.. too)

Unfortunately, with the steady rise in the number of people selling, it is harder to know who is who. Always ask for contact information - full name, address, phone number. Don't be afraid to check them to make sure they are real. If a person skirts those questions, just move on (be advised, some legit people don't like to do business by phone, so don't take offense to such a statement as long as it is explained...and the number is given. I don't do business by phone, but I will give a customer my number if it is requested. And I will call them, or make arrangements to take their call, if it is necessary to make them comfortable.)

References are a great option, but not everybody has them...and they can be fake. When I am asked for references, I give links to my trader rating, GGC, and BOI threads...all solid stuff that doesn't involve bothering people to confirm. Obviously, it won't always be that easy for you, but common sense is your best guide.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!