Candoia - Fiji boa gravid? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Helenthereef
Candoia - Fiji boa gravid?

This is my friend's large Fiji Boa female, mated to one of my small males back in October 09. See thread posted then:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=150267

I was hesitant to declare it successful, as I didn't see ovulation, never recorded a shed at the right time, and she has continued to eat like a pig, but now, more than 5 months down the line, I cannot deny that she's a big, thick girl.

So, I am hopeful... a few "Fatty" pics attached, 4 days after her last feed, and she had just defecated.

Any opinions?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Iguanagirl8662
Well she does look chunky. I hope she is, I want to see little babies!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Helenthereef
Me too, we are counting the days... if we've got it right could be any time mid May to Mid August......

Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Only opinion I have is....That's a cool looking snake.

Wish I could help you out, but I really just know so little about Candoia it ain't even funny. And I know even less about their mating habits.

Does look like a nice plump girl though.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Helenthereef
I think you "regular' Boa guys have it easy - all we know about the Fiji Boa is that they gestate for "7-9 " months. That's a LONG time and a lot of suspense! I guess the good news is that there's a lot to find out!

This girl just keeps getting fatter, but she's a real grump, so I don't do much handling. She feels really "taut" when she passes through my hands, whereas the just fed "definitely not pregnant" ones feel kind of softer, and she has given birth before so I hope, I hope, I hope.....

The putative father has very similar back markings, but the last half of his belly is a real scarlet "Fire belly". These snakes come in loads of different colours, and as she is wild stock and he is only first generation captive born I hope, I hope, I hope, for some great surprises...

You can be sure there will be pics as soon as we have anything! Thanks for the interest.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
Kaiyudsai
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Me too, we are counting the days... if we've got it right could be any time mid May to Mid August......
I really enjoyed your web page..... I just ran across this whole micro community of Candoia enthusiasts, and I am... well enthused that people are doing alot more work with these..... They are amazing boas... very cool stuff indeed... I had an Isabelle and an Irian back in the late 90's.... CHeers

Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Thanks Marc,

I think there's room for the Candoia family in the larger herp world - hopefully people will cotton on to them soon.

My gravid female is enjoying playing with my mind - after not moving or eating for the last month she's suddenly hanging out up trees and starting to accept small food items - I have to be away for the next 5 days - wanna bet she's just waiting for me to head out the door?

Whatever she chooses to do I am now on tenterhooks from now until mid August. You can bet I'll be making a big splash on this forum when she finally does pop!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Helenthereef
My photos seem to have been deleted, Here they are again...
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
densnake1
Nice looking snakes! Don't know much about them but it looks promising. Good luck.
Dennis

Old 06-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Bioteacher
I keep a couple Candoia...paulsoni and c.carinata...she looks like she may be gravid. From what I've read, some may continue to eat while other go off feed. The big thing that I have read is that they need a humid hide to give birth, so it is key to keep a nice moist area in the cage.

If you do get a nice big litter I'd be excited to take a couple off your hands! :-) just make sure to have some feeder frogs/lizards around for the neonates as a little more than half will refuse pinkies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!