Need confirmation on new Connecticut herp law - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
SPJ
Need confirmation on new Connecticut herp law

I was at a specialty store today that deals with strictly reptiles (they breed a lot of their stock and usually have uncommon species) and was told that Connecticut just passed a law similiar to the New York one banning retics, burms, rocks, and condas in the state.

I cannot find anything online and this was the first time I heard of it but ALL of the large constrictors (even all the albino granite burms thatrecently hatched there) that were in the store were gone.

A LOT of large enclosures where empty. Even the breeder burms were nowhere to be found and they were ALWAYS on display.

I was told they are not allowed to sell them anymore.

Does anyone know about this law? Is it being considered? Has it really passed? Why was no one made aware of it? So much for the local herp society.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
dot_s
Re: CT Law

I heard the same thing at the shop I frequent a few months ago. From what I understand, the larger snakes, Burms, AfRocks, Retics, etc. have been banned in CT, though there's no penalty if you own any of these species pre-law. I believe that if you are to breed any of the big snakes, you need a special breeder permit from the state.

CT seems to be cracking down on any big snakes - there was talk of the possibility of banning Blood Pythons after the 1st of the year as well, but I haven't heard anything about that, as well as some lizards - Uromastyx are supposedly on the list to be banned soon as well.

Slightly Off-Subject: I also hear that CT has banned Axolotls, which is slightly concerning for me, because I breed mine every Spring.

I'm interested in seeing how this all turns out.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
hhmoore
If there has already been a law passed, it should be easy enough to get the details. The name of the governing body varies from state to state - here in NY it is the Dept of Environmental Conservation. It can be more difficult to get information on pending legislation, depending on where in the process it is. Another avenue would be to check with a local or state herpetological association...even if there is not an official legislative officer, there is usually somebody that pays attention to such things and can help track down the info you need.

Unfortunately, but the time we find out about this stuff, it is usually too late to stop it...but sometimes changes can be made which make the bill more "reasonable"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!