What locale is my Rosy? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
DavidBeard
What locale is my Rosy?

I recently adopted this female Rosy Boa and I was wondering if some of you with more experience could help me ID what locale she may be?

Old 07-17-2004, 12:18 AM   #2
Stevefromsd
She looks like a mix. Part Coastal (the blue/grey stripes). But the lines are too straight to be pure Coastal. Anyone else have any ideas what else she might be?

Old 07-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #3
Seamus Haley
David, I know you've read a few of my recent locality rants. Unless you know for a FACT exactly where the animal or the animal's anscestors were collected, it's not a locality specific animal. You might say it shares certain traits with a given locale, as the above poster did, but this is not the same as BEING that locale.

Plus rosy locality fanatics are as bad as the Grayband nuts, they want GPS coordinates and collection data. Saying it "looks kind of like a..." will not fly with them.

Old 07-17-2004, 11:00 AM   #4
meretseger
I've had a discussion with people (ok, it was an internet discussion) who wanted more locality specific Kenyan sand boas. I'll admit it would be NICE if we knew which country our snakes came from, but they wanted to import snakes from another continent just so they could have a Uganda locality KSB, instead of choosing one of thousands perfectly healthy CB mutts. And you know how many snakes you have to import to have a viable breeding colony. Taking hundreds of animals out of the wild just because they spots might be different- doesn't make any sense to me. (and we're talking might- I'm not convinced that there would be any visible differences distinguishing the animals they were talking about)

--> The Short Version: I agree with Seamus.

Erin B.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
Stevefromsd
What's the deal with why people are so anal about what locality a rosy is from? I don't hear them doing that with any other kinds of snakes.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:28 PM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
Anal is an overstatement by a mile. Rosy boas are distributed over a large area of the U.S. Locales all have their on unique looks. Crossing them takes away the unique looks that they have. Besides, there are just a lot of people who like the look of the pure lines. Mixes can be cool, but they are worth less.
Besides, they are all their own specific subspecies. So it is technically like breeding different types together, instead of 2 of the same.
Cant really think of another example.
Maybe Eastern and Western African Gaboon Vipers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!