I grew up on a horse ranch - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 01-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Darin Chappell
I grew up on a horse ranch

We raised Arabians, and this oldest of all breeds is still my favorite. Anyone else have a choice? If so, Why?

Old 01-25-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
JasonBrennan
Personally, I like Shires and Appoloosa. I like the Appy's because that is what I grew up with on my grandfathers farm in Alabama (he owned 3 race horses and a lot of "pet" horses). The Shires I like because they are the biggest, and are actually very fun to ride (if you are relatively large like I am.....6 ft 285lbs).

Funny thing about having the race horses is that we had three stallions that were raced professionally, but we also had this one gelding that was inelegible for racing because he was not colored properly. He was solid red, had no rump blanket, did not have stripped hooves, and did not have the pink nose or the spots on his nose (all are required to race in Appoloosa races). But, that damn gelding could beat all three of our race horses, and most other peoples races horses as well (still talking Appys, of course). I used to match race him all the time, and I don't think I ever lost on him!! Too bad he was red!!! He was a registered Appy, by the way, but sometimes they don't come out with the right colors for some reason. His parents were both blanketed and pink nosed, so go figure??

Old 12-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
WednesdayFaith
My favorite

My favorites are Friesians (have you ever seen LadyHawk) and Andalusians. Both breeds have thick arched necks and beautiful faces. Also it is customary for their manes and tails to be grown incredibly long which looks beautiful. I currently have a thourghbred hunter/jumper and he's pretty nice too.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
JungleHabitats
never owned a horse but my ...

Favorite would be the clydesdales(sp) Not only do they deliver Budweiser ... lol but they look very majestic ... and intimidating !

Old 12-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
jenn_jeffery
Tennesse Walkers--one of the first horses I rode, a gentle giant when I was 10 or so. I still love their size and easy going manners and gaits.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #6
ParisV
Hmmm my favorite would have to be

All horses, I would have to say. My very first horse (pony) when I was 5 was a welsh/shetland cross, she was very sweet. Then I lived in the city until I was 15 years old and then I moved back into the country and got an Appaloosa Stallion he was very beautiful and gentle....I can remember a time when our dog got under his feet and he (Devil's Black Magic--is his registered name) came down hard on my chest and then got off so quick and tried to see if I was okay by nuzzling my sholder and face, of course I laid there freaking out thinking I was dieing.....although as you can tell from this post I was very much alive. Then not to long ago I owned a thorobred (sp?) mare that was just under 17hh (I am only 5'3") talk about along way down. And we also had an arab gelding he was very loving (as long as you didn't try to ride him ). Anyway, as you can tell I love ALL kinds of horses. I really love the larger ones to Shires, Clydesdales, Percherons, etc.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!