Update: crystal urate - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-10-2004, 02:55 AM   #1
gothra
Update: crystal urate

I took one of my female to the vet yesterday, she had 2 lots of urate that consisted completely of yellow crystal; the vet said he'd never seen anything like this before. I suggested it might be gout or excessive calcium intake. He checked her physically and can't find anything abnormal, and the gecko is moving around just fine. I also asked about kidney problems, he said at the age of 1.5yrs, there is still a possibility for kidney disease; but he'll need to do a blood test which he hadn't done to a gecko before. He'll be away for 10 days starting next week, in the meantime, he wants me to give this girl a half hour warm bath every night, decrease supplements, and if the problem persists, he'll do the blood test. But he'll need to do some research first...(that's why I'm worried).

My question: he commented yesterday that he'll get the blood from her belly, from the "inverse-Y "; is this really the place to draw blood??

Old 09-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #2
Niles_RPO
Hi!

I was hoping you could tell me what ever came of the crystal urate. My 17 month old super hypo carrot tail, Gabby, has had three urates exactly matching your description over the past week. I did several online searches, but links to this forum were the only thing that was helpful. I read about Nana's surgery and I'm glad that she's doing better I am really worried about potential kidney problems with Gabby, but she was at the vet in June and had bloodwork done and her kidney functioning was normal. Her appetite has also decreased in the past 3 weeks. She still eats some mealies, just not the 1 every 2nd day that she did before. I ordered her some butterworms, so maybe she will prefer those.

Krista

Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #3
Niles_RPO
oh, it should read that she ate 10 mealies every 2 days!

Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
gothra
Hi Krista,

I think its too much supplimentation that caused the crystal in urate in my case; last year, after the vet visit, I turned her heat up to approx 94F on the warm side, kept her humid hide always moist, gave her 1/2 hour warm bath every night with repto-boost just as the vet said. And most importantly, I decreased the dusting of Ca with Vit.D3; and these together solved the problem. The amount of crystal in her urate gradually decreased.

Now, I only use the Ca w/vit. D3 2-3 times a month; the other times I use plain calcium and herptivite.

Hope this helps.

Bonnie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!