Man Catches 10-Foot Python Lurking In Backyard Pond - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Man Catches 10-Foot Python Lurking In Backyard Pond

Here's another one..........

------------------------------------------------------------------

SWEETWATER, Fla. -- Another python was found lurking in a south Florida backyard. In this case, the Sweetwater homeowner took matters into his own hands.

The 10-foot Burmese python made itself at home Monday in Tommy Compton's backyard. Fearing for his exotic fish, Compton and his friend Tim Callahan jumped into action and tried to pounce on the python. But charming the snake didn't go so well.

The snake didn't go down easy and got back into the water, and the battle was on. The snake even sank its teeth into Callahan before they finally got it into a pillowcase.

The female python was much more friendly Tuesday, after being put in a cage.

The snake sightings are becoming much more common. Over the past two weeks, a python pounced on a Miami Gardens cat, another gobbled up a turkey, and a third in the Everglades tried to eat an alligator and ended up splitting its own stomach open.

When the Miami-Dade Anti-Venom Unit hauled away the snake, they left behind some words of advice.

"A snake this size could potentially do some bad injury. It's not going to kill an adult, but it could bite you and leave some marks," said Lt. Charles Seifert, Miami-Dade Anti-Venom Unit.

The python is not a native snake to Florida, but so many people have released their pet pythons into the wild in south Florida that they're actually starting to breed.

Link to Story

Old 10-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
nicolai
just what we need...more bad press!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Karen Hulvey
Tommy need not "fear for his exotic fish" LOL Too funny.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
Junkyard
Quote:
"A snake this size could potentially do some bad injury. It's not going to kill an adult, but it could bite you and leave some marks," said Lt. Charles Seifert, Miami-Dade Anti-Venom Unit.
Bad injury huh? It could leave some bite marks...

YOU THINK!!!! That is usually what happens when a person is bit by just about any animal. The exotic fish being the exception here.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
ms_terese
Quote:

YOU THINK!!!! That is usually what happens when a person is bit by just about any animal. The exotic fish being the exception here.
That's much better than some drama-filled analysis of how the children in the neighborhood are safe now....

To be honest, I've been more impressed by the response of law enforcement on these issues of late. They're not overreacting as they used to.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard

I don't know..... I've got a scar on my finger from a pirahna I used to have. Mabye he had alligator gars or something in there.

Wow, such memories.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Cat_72
Ever notice how they are always, "lurking"?

I guess it wouldn't be nearly as dangerous and dramatic if they said "snoozing" or "basking", huh?

(insert eye roll here)

Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
That's much better than some drama-filled analysis of how the children in the neighborhood are safe now....

To be honest, I've been more impressed by the response of law enforcement on these issues of late. They're not overreacting as they used to.
You mean like the time a few years back that someone in a local petshop got bitten by a 4ft (+/-) albino burm and "couldn't get it to let go"? they turned a fire extinguisher on the snake.
(shakes head, sighs, and mutters: "idiots")

Old 10-29-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Ever notice how they are always, "lurking"?

I guess it wouldn't be nearly as dangerous and dramatic if they said "snoozing" or "basking", huh?

(insert eye roll here)
Yeah, you like that. I like the way they "pounce" like a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by News Letter
The snake sightings are becoming much more common. Over the past two weeks, a python pounced on a Miami Gardens cat, another gobbled up a turkey, and a third in the Everglades tried to eat an alligator and ended up splitting its own stomach open.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
jsrocket
What I want to know is how the hell they got a 10 foot Burm into a PILLOWCASE.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!