Bad Guy Dwayne R McConnell Sr and Monica McConnell - STOLE SNAKE - BEWARE!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
tikigator
Thumbs down Dwayne R McConnell Sr and Monica McConnell - STOLE SNAKE - BEWARE!!

Wow I am shocked I even have to make this post. A couple years ago I purchased a Moonglow boa from Monica McConnell for $800. She had asked that if we ever decided to sell her, that I would let her know and give her the opportunity to buy her back. Back in November 2015, I kept my word and when we decided to sell her, I contacted Monica and offered her to buy her back for the same price I had paid her. She and her father, Dwayne McConnell were thankful I had given them the opportunity to purchase her back and both messaged me asking about payments and I told them payments were fine. We had been friends on facebook for those years I had the boa, which we named Luna, and I thought they were good people. Dwayne made 4 payments totaling $300 before Christmas of 2015, and my husband and I agreed to let them take Luna so they could have her with their family for Christmas. Since then, we received updates that Luna was doing great, but had not received any payments. We tried to be patient as we knew Monica had another baby on the way, and money was tight. On June 23rd, I sent them a message to check in and ask when they were planning on making more payments or if they would be able to pay the balance in-full. Monica immediately blocked me, she also immediately blocked me from her father's account as well. All I did was ASK the question.

I am shocked to say the least. I thought both of them had a bit more respect, especially Dwayne. I thought perhaps he did, but without having anyway to contact him regarding the mess his daughter had created, I made a post in the FBI Facebook group that same day. He was made aware of the post and the situation (screenshot provided below) and he proceeded to flat out ignore it. I was hopeful he would resolve this. I really didn't think he was the type of person who would steal a snake and ruin is reputation.....but perhaps I was dead wrong, his daughter certainly has already started that process for him.

It has now been about a week, with no response from either of them regarding this situation. No contact whatsoever letting me know they still want to resolve this, they are willing to make payments when they can, NOTHING. However, I am getting word from others on facebook (again, screenshots provided) that they are acquiring animals daily. They purchased several animals over the weekend at the reptile show, so they have no problem bragging about their new acquisitions on facebook, but yet are not respectful enough to handle the stolen snake situation. So by blocking me and ignoring my posts, they are very clearly showing the world they have no interest in resolving this, and therefore admitting to being THIEVES. And yes, I KNOW that I should not have given up the snake before receiving payment in full, but my husband I were trying to be what we call GOOD PEOPLE and you know what they say about GOOD PEOPLE in this hobby.

I would NEVER do business with either of these individuals. I would never purchase an animal from them nor would I ever sell to them. They are dishonest, and telling people they don't have any money, yet continually acquiring animals. This makes me wonder what the condition is of the animals they have, and I wonder if our boa is even getting proper care. I have given them every opportunity to come forward and make this right. I never demanded payment, all I did was ASK the question, it had been SIX MONTHS of no payments. And the response I receive was blocking and sheer ignorance. Not the kind of people we should have in this hobby!
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
tikigator
Continuation of conversation above
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
tikigator
Dwayne being notified of my FBI post that same day (Thursday the 23rd) and him acknowledging that he is aware of it.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Pasodama
This sounds like a bad situation.
I understand why you did it, and I am not going to "berate" you since you already know your mistake, but it is a shame that you gave the boa over, to them, before being paid in full.

If they still owe you $500, and everything is as you have stated/posted (at this point, in time, I have no reason to believe otherwise), you are entitled to be paid, in full, or to have the boa returned to you.
If they refuse to either pay or return the boa, I would suggest filing in small claims court. Especially if they are local. Cost is minimal to file.

People, like these two appear to be, make things hard for the honest/reliable/ethical individuals. smh

Have you notified, or are you able to notify, them of this thread?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post

Thought the name was familiar, I've sold him snakes before and all went well. I sent him a message notifying him of the thread.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
tikigator
Quote:
This sounds like a bad situation.
I understand why you did it, and I am not going to "berate" you since you already know your mistake, but it is a shame that you gave the boa over, to them, before being paid in full.

If they still owe you $500, and everything is as you have stated/posted (at this point, in time, I have no reason to believe otherwise), you are entitled to be paid, in full, or to have the boa returned to you.

Typically we would never let an animal go before it has been paid in full. But yes, obviously we know we made a mistake. We thought these were "friends" and we were doing them a nice favor by allowing them to take her early to have her for Christmas. Silly us. I must say though, this was not the first time we were backstabbed by "friends" in this hobby. Yes we were foolish, but that's what happens to good people when they try to be kind and generous, there always seems to be a price to pay. I would rather be a kind good hearted person for the rest of my life than a disrespectful liar and a thief and a horrible role model for my children.

As far as getting the animal back, that is not an option. She has been out of our care for 8 months now. Without having any idea the condition she has been kept in, what she has been exposed to, there is no way we would accept her back into our home. Not to mention, we would be unable to sell her, due to the fact we don't know if she has been paired/bred, and we could never guarantee her being healthy--especially with all of the new acquisitions they have (just in this past weekend alone) there is no way to know if she has been exposed to an animal with a virus, IBD, etc.

Quote:

I am not able to notify them of this thread. They have me blocked on all of their accounts on Facebook and I no longer have their contact phone number. So anyone is welcome to bring this to their attention. Although I did have other people bring the thread on the FBI page on Facebook to their attention and they flat out ignored it. Their actions are speaking volumes.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
yeloowtang
how about posting this entire story on the forums they use on facebook and keep re-posting every day or so, since it get buried under all the other messages.. post the pictures too, it will at least get their attention, even in the craigs list as a warning to others not to sell snakes to them.. if you start poking them everywhere they post, at some point they will answer or get P. O enough about it and rant..

Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
TeguBuzz
Your patience is on another leve. 6 months without payments? Wow.

Laura, I am sorry you are having to deal with individuals such as these. It seems as though the others have already said it, but I will say it again - and I am sure you'll follow through with this in the times to come... Any animal, or anything for sale, should never be released to the buyer when payments are still pending and not paid off in full.

I hope that this situation will be resolved, and wish you the best of luck.

If they don't pay on their own after seeing this and other posts, court may be your only option, but unfortunately - most people tend to take it as a loss and avoid that route.

Do keep us posted.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
tikigator
Angry

Unfortunately, with people like Dwayne and Monica, they flat out don't care. Had they been paying $100 month, then the balance would have been paid off a month ago. Even if they would have been sending $10 or $20 here and there it would have been something, a show of good faith they were trying.

I know money is tight with them, it always is and they let the world know it. We did our best to be patient with them. Monica did not even have the decency to have a conversation with me. She immediately blocked me, she said she's "concentrating on the baby". The baby she made a Go Fund me account for asking for hand outs. If they are in financial distress and she wants to bring a baby into the mix that's her choice. However, if I needed money, before asking for handouts I would sell every reptile in my house! NOT ACQUIRE MORE!! She seems to be concentrating more on all the new animals her father brought home from the reptile show this weekend.

Dwayne could have messaged me immediately and said I am so sorry for Monica's ignorance and I will do my best to start making payments. Or how about telling me they will sell the snake at the next reptile show and send me the rest of the money when she sells?? The fact he has not responded indeed makes me feel like they never had any intention of paying what they owe. That they flat out stole this animal from us, and are admitting to doing so by ignoring my posts and the people who have reached out to ask them about it.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
tikigator
Here is his classy response on Facebook which someone sent to me in a screenshot (I blocked out their foul language as to comply with fauna, plus yes I am a lady and I don't have a filthy mouth like that.)

I would love to know what "assumptions" I have made. Dwayne and Monica please do feel free to come here and have an adult discussion of you are even capable. I have been more than civil, given plenty of opportunities for you to make this right. YOU gave me no choice but to go public and resort to the BOI. And no, I am not trashing your name, you did that all on your own.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!