Meal worm bedding? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

View Poll Results: What do you guys like for breeding mealies in?
Ground food stuff into a powder 0 0%
Whole seeds and chunks of foods 1 14.29%
A combination 2 28.57%
Other (specify) 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
BigBreeder
meal worms

I purchased red bran in a 50 lb bag at a feed store, occasionally I mix in rolled oats also available in bulk from feed store. I use raw quartered potatoes as the only source of moisture, set up in 32X24 inch fiberglass trays that slide into a wheeled bread type cart from a closed grocery store. The trays are 3.5 " deep and I have cut down on the number used due to too many worms. I keep threatening to pick up some deli cups and sell the excess, just too many other projects going on. I keep the rack in an animal room, warm in summer and heated in winter. Add potatoes more often in winter due to drier conditions. By the time I take out the dried skin of the potato, most of the bulk has been devoured.
Good Luck
Mark D.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
Jake The Snake
Got to picl some bran up tonight now. The oats in the tub are almost gone and all sandy. Got about 10 of the alien things in there that I found

Old 09-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
Wolfy-hound
I always bought my horse "bran" to make bran mash. 50 lb bags at feed stores, and it was always really clean. My aunt used to take what she wanted to make bread and bran muffins.
wolfy

Old 09-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
MGReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound
I always bought my horse "bran" to make bran mash. 50 lb bags at feed stores, and it was always really clean. My aunt used to take what she wanted to make bread and bran muffins.
wolfy
I actually use the same stuff, works perfectly.. Now if I could just get myself to raise crickets I would be able to start that domain I bought 2 years ago..lol

Old 10-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #15
Chris Steele
Do you guys pick the dead out of your mealworm culture, is it necessary?

Is any type of bran good, does it have to be ground?

Old 10-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Chris Steele
Do you replace your potatoes immediately after taking the remains out?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #17
Chris Steele
I have hundreds of beatles with no mealies

I've noticed the beatles don't need as much hydration as the mealies do they?

Old 11-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #18
number1steakfan
give it some more time

Old 11-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #19
Schlyne
I keep my mealies in wheat bran, which is basically flakes.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #20
aliceinwl
I don't breed my mealies. I grind my stuff into a powder so I can sift them out come feeding time. I'm fairly allergic to them now, so I don't think that I could deal with the build up if I had a colony going. I start fresh every other week.

I use:
oats
flish flakes
any stale crackers / cereal we have around
cheap vitamin fortified cereal
chicken laying mash

-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!